Big Dog Mowers

edd

Threads
i have 2 big dog mowers---r 754 and 60 inch diablo......satisfied with both of them.........well built...low center of gravity

levecks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone! I haven't seen many conversations on this forum regarding Big Dog Mowers. I went to one of my local commercial lawn equipment stores a few weeks ago for the very first time. They had a few big dog zero turn mowers,and I was very impressed! I would love to get as much feedback as I can regarding big dog mowers.

You can visit Residential and Commercial Zero Turn Radius Lawn Mowers and Tractors - Big Dog Mowers and check out all the models. How many acres are you going to mow? I ask because i'm a dealer and that is always the first question I ask customers, basically what is the application? We sold Toro for years and then got out of them. I have no bad feelings about our decision. Excel industries makes as nice a mower and for any application as anybody else out there. The prices for every model are also more than competitive. I'd visit a local dealer and let them know your application and I am certain they will show the proper models for your specific needs.

The Alpha's are new to Big Dog this year. The Raptor is basically the same thing, just on the Hustler side of it. I believe the Big Dog has some features the Raptor does not. They all use Kawasaki twin cylinders, have the welded deck and range from 42"-60" deck sizes.

infoonozcafecom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Big Dog Mowers - Problems, problems, problems

Iʻve had my Big Dog Alpha MP 48" model, for about 2 years. I have had a single consistent problem/issue with this mower; the drive belt is constantly falling off and because it falls off alot, it breaks alot. Iʻve replaced this belt over a dozen times (yes more then 12 times). It just broke again, and when I replaced it, it keeps falling off as soon as I start the engine, looks like the tension idler is bent, what a pain in my a**. Also the seat back is broken and this happened within the 1st year and Iʻm under 200lbs. I have a little over an acre and a half of lawn to mow and I mow roughly every 2 to 3 weeks. I only have 110 hours on the machine. My advice is buy something else.

PORKIE

Threads
My 2017 Diablo MP, 35hp, 60 inch deck, with 350 Residential hours is the best ZTR I have ever owned and I have had absolutely no problems at all with reliability. Maintenance every 50 hours, 1 new set of Sparkplugs and a new set of blades installed Oct 4, 2021. Always garaged and as clean as new! For sale. 4pfarm@gmail.com Sam:)

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads

Iʻve had my Big Dog Alpha MP 48" model, for about 2 years. I have had a single consistent problem/issue with this mower; the drive belt is constantly falling off and because it falls off alot, it breaks alot. Iʻve replaced this belt over a dozen times (yes more then 12 times). It just broke again, and when I replaced it, it keeps falling off as soon as I start the engine, looks like the tension idler is bent, what a pain in my a**. Also the seat back is broken and this happened within the 1st year and Iʻm under 200lbs. I have a little over an acre and a half of lawn to mow and I mow roughly every 2 to 3 weeks. I only have 110 hours on the machine. My advice is buy something else.
You probably have broken hydro support brackets the drive belts don't fall off or break for no reason. Talk to the dealer about it there is a hydro bracket kit to repair the problem.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hustler and Big Dog are both built by Excel most of the mower have a counter part in the other line of mowers though there some differences. The residential mowers all carry a 7 year 300 hours warranty except Rex which carries a 7 year 100 hour warranty and the Stout that carries a 7 year 500 hour warranty. All the commercial mowers carry a 7 year 1500 hour warranty except Stout MP that carries a 7 year 1000 warranty.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Stanley Black & Decker (NYSE: SWK) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Excel Industries for $375 million in cash. This AKA Hustler and Big Dog mowers.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
We sell the Big Dog mowers where I work and they are top of the line mowers. Though they have had some issues with the Alpha, Alpha MP and MPX they addressed the issue and have fixed the problem with the hydro mounting brackets. If you have one of these units that is giving you belt issues with the motion drive contact your nearest dealer for the fix.The new ones have been redesigned and do not have the issue.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads

You know it does have a warranty and if you are having a problem talk to your dealer about it. I know belts are considered a wear item and are not usually warranty but if something else causes the problem and takes the belt out it will be covered under warranty. The hydro mounting brackets are broken and causing your problem. Seats are a wear item but we have gotten them cover as well at times. I know this is kinda a duplicate of previous post felt it necessary to do this way.