Best blade to easily cut thick grass

rosindust

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt TB240 mower, and I'm having trouble getting through my thick lawn without the mower getting overworked and stalling. My grass grows fast and thickly. Even with my lawn not being overly long, my mower has trouble. I mulch my lawn. I know that the best answer is probably just to mow more frequently, but I often don't have time to mow more than once a week. Can anyone recommend a blade type and/or brand that might get through my grass a little bit more easily. I'm not using the original manufacturer blade since my original blade got bent up on rocks. I'm currently using this maxpower mulching blade: https://www.amazon.com/Maxpower-331528S-Troy-Bilt-742-04100-742-0741A/dp/B003VPAEH0. Is there any brand or type of blade that might work better and get through my lawn more easily? I was considering the kind of mulching blade with teeth like this: https://www.amazon.com/8TEN-LawnRAZOR-Mulching-942-0741A-942-0741/dp/B07XQLKYR7.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!
I replaced one of these blades. It broke clean in half when a rock was struck, about even with the last uprake on one side. I hadn't seen a blade break like that before.
Perhaps one of the resident metallurgists here will weigh in, but it indicated to me there is not enough ductility in the metal these are made from.
I also believe a blade like that is a gimmick, but that is my opinion.
If the mower worked well with the proscribed blade, go back to it.
That's what I did, no complaints from owner.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ll probably not going to like me after reading my answer, but I must speak the truth. With the mower you have there is just about nothing you can do to solve your problem. Only possible solution is to raise the cutting height as high as possible and mow more often. Your mower is the problem. It is one of the cheapest units available, with the cheapest engine Briggs makes. That combination will never go through a thick lawn unless you only remove 1/2” at a time. What you need is a good quality unit with a larger engine. By that I’m talking about Toro, Honda, Ariens, etc costing $500 on up. I personally don’t feel those units built by Husqvarna and MTD will do the job you want, no matter what the salesmen say. Sorry, but I’ve seen this problem many times and don’t have a better solution.

rosindust

Forum Newbie
Threads
You’ll probably not going to like me after reading my answer, but I must speak the truth. With the mower you have there is just about nothing you can do to solve your problem. Only possible solution is to raise the cutting height as high as possible and mow more often. Your mower is the problem. It is one of the cheapest units available, with the cheapest engine Briggs makes. That combination will never go through a thick lawn unless you only remove 1/2” at a time. What you need is a good quality unit with a larger engine. By that I’m talking about Toro, Honda, Ariens, etc costing $500 on up. I personally don’t feel those units built by Husqvarna and MTD will do the job you want, no matter what the salesmen say. Sorry, but I’ve seen this problem many times and don’t have a better solution.
No, I do like you! Your comment may just save me some money. I was definitely wondering if it's just the mower that and is why I asked the question. The mower has a honda motor, but it is definitely a cheap unit. I will think about it, but maybe I'll just deal with what I have for now and save up for a unit with a more powerful engine.

rosindust

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the Forum!
I replaced one of these blades. It broke clean in half when a rock was struck, about even with the last uprake on one side. I hadn't seen a blade break like that before.
Perhaps one of the resident metallurgists here will weigh in, but it indicated to me there is not enough ductility in the metal these are made from.
I also believe a blade like that is a gimmick, but that is my opinion.
If the mower worked well with the proscribed blade, go back to it.
That's what I did, no complaints from owner.
Thank you for your reply! Which blade are you referring to? The maxpower blade (first link) or the 8ten blade (second link)?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The TB240 mower number you posted comes with a Briggs engine. Please post the model number off the black and silver tag on the mower deck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I found the problem, the newer 240’s use a Briggs engine, which the older ones had Honda. The Honda engine is definitely better than the new Briggs, but not by much.

rosindust

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the problem, the newer 240’s use a Briggs engine, which the older ones had Honda. The Honda engine is definitely better than the new Briggs, but not by much.
Thank you for your help and advice!