Bent crank shaft Honda HRX217HYA.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2 year old Honda HRX217HYA and I hit a culvert and have bent the crankshaft. I don't have the skills necessary to repair the motor, so I was wondering where I could find a replacement engine. I have searched online but I can find anything with the correct shaft size. Does anyone have any suggestions?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2 year old Honda HRX217HYA and I hit a culvert and have bent the crankshaft. I don't have the skills necessary to repair the motor, so I was wondering where I could find a replacement engine. I have searched online but I can find anything with the correct shaft size. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any Honda dealer can get you an exact replacement engine. Tell them the Honda guy told you it they should order it from Honda the same way they order a whole mower. The Honda Code for the engine is 660500, and the exact engine model name is GCV190AMX8. The full list price is $357, but shop around for the best price, including installation.

Find a dealer in your area using this link:
Find A Honda Dealer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any Honda dealer can get you an exact replacement engine. Tell them the Honda guy told you it they should order it from Honda the same way they order a whole mower. The Honda Code for the engine is 660500, and the exact engine model name is GCV190AMX8. The full list price is $357, but shop around for the best price, including installation.

Find A Honda Dealer

Thanks for the information!!!

RobertBarr

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, how did you fare? What were the total 'damages' when the dust settled?

I just joined the 'club' yesterday. Exact, identical mower. I installed an hour-meter on it the day it was delivered, and it's at 85 operating hours. Nailed a large tool in deep grass.

The vibration isn't bad at all (and in fact might be no worse than before the incident -- could be my expectations / concerns as much as actual vibration). Nice bite out of the blades, but not as bad as I anticipated.

The indicator of a problem is the new whine from the engine, even with the blade disengaged. The whine really sounds like it's in the recoil area, and I'm guessing it's the flywheel lightly contacting the magneto and/or brake. I managed to finish up the mowing -- maybe 40 minutes worth -- and under load, it's hard to tell there's anything wrong. That whine, though, is too loud to be healthy.

My initial plan here is to R/R the crank. I have the Honda shop manual, and it's not terribly clear about setting the valve timing, but I think I can muddle my way through. I'm guessing two half-days of work and probably $100 in parts -- not exactly what I had in mind for my summer leisure time!

I'll let you guys know how this works out.

coatseast

Forum Newbie
Threads

Find A Honda Dealer
Hi, New here and thanks for your help!

I'm in the same boat. Have the HRX2174HYA - maybe 7 years old and hit a pipe helping my neighbor fight back some Ivy and Liriope. I'm told it has this engine and the S/N stamp last 4 digits match the AMX8 code. Honda says its not avail. So I"m looking for a compatible engine.

My question is, what id the shaft type, length and diameter of the crank shaft and whether it has a flywheel brake Northern Tool sells a few GCV190s and I'm hoping one will work. This GSV190 looks the closest (its upgraded GCV with iron cynder liners)

and the particulars. It does NOT have a flywheel brake (not sure what that is really)

Shaft Diameter (in.)7/8
Shaft Length (in.)3 5/32
CrankshaftN1 type
Shaft Keyway3/16
Shaft End Tapped (Diameter (in.)/Threads per inch)3/8–24

LukeWalker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, New here and thanks for your help!

I'm in the same boat. Have the HRX2174HYA - maybe 7 years old and hit a pipe helping my neighbor fight back some Ivy and Liriope. I'm told it has this engine and the S/N stamp last 4 digits match the AMX8 code. Honda says its not avail. So I"m looking for a compatible engine.

My question is, what id the shaft type, length and diameter of the crank shaft and whether it has a flywheel brake Northern Tool sells a few GCV190s and I'm hoping one will work. This GSV190 looks the closest (its upgraded GCV with iron cynder liners)

and the particulars. It does NOT have a flywheel brake (not sure what that is really)

Shaft Diameter (in.)7/8
Shaft Length (in.)3 5/32
CrankshaftN1 type
Shaft Keyway3/16
Shaft End Tapped (Diameter (in.)/Threads per inch)3/8–24
Did you end up going with this Northern Tool engine? Did it fit?