Export thread

Bench testing K301 12hp

G

Gearjammer

I'm bench testing (actually trying to get a questionable engine to run before I go any further with the installation) a K 301 12 hp Kohler. I'm getting a strong blue spark at the points and a very weak spark at the plug. I've installed new points, plug, and condenser. Wouldn't this point to a weak coil almost for sure as any faulty connections or wiring wouldn't allow any spark to plug? Is my thinking right on this? Thanks for your ideas on this. Gearjammer

R

Rivets

You should be getting no or very little spark around the points, if the points and condenser are good and properly set. Most times a spark across the points indicates a bad condenser and/or improperly set points. This manual may be of help to you. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...al-K91-K141-K161-K181-K241-K301-K321-K341.pdf

G

Gearjammer

I think my problem turned out to be a non-existent ground on the condenser. I cleaned all the connections and cinched down the condenser to the block and am now getting a strong spark at the plug. Thanks for the advice and the article, Rivets.

R

Rivets

Thank you for the update, your resolution may help someone else down the road.