Belt for blades keep coming off

Dodgeman 43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a X310 John Deere mower and when you engage the deck belt will come off sometimes.When you lift the switch you can hear a loud noise when blades are being engaged.I have been thru 2 belts.I have carried it back to the dealer no help so does any body have and idea what might be causing this.By the way the deck is a 42 inch cut.Thanks

KingKen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Dodgeman, ok i don't own a JD but had a similar issue with my MTD Lawnflite sit on mower, let out a right screech when engaging the belt drive to the deck. Turned out the upper bearing was shot to sh't and seizing causing the squeal noise and in turn the main cutting shaft was no longer upright so the belt could be coming off because of this.

Just a thought. Fyi, i ended up pushing out the main bearings and purchased replacements for about 8quid, the replacement housing and bearings from Lawnflite was about £375!!! Thats without labour from a dealer fitting too would of written off my mower.

Good luck

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure to use JD OEM parts on your X310. Remove deck & inspect all parts & hardware, idler pulleys & their bearings, idler arms, bushings, check everything by hand & eyesight making sure there is no sloppy play up & down & side to side, let us know what you find, thanks, Mark

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three most common causes for this problem are: using NON-OEM belts, a bad pulley or pulleys and bad spindle bearings.

Dodgeman 43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info when it warms up some I will check this different things out

jd 300

Threads
If it's a mulching deck the darn things throw belts I had one on my x300 sold it and found a standard deck on craigslist.