Beginner Question - Correctly Identifying the Carburetor 512

MTUser2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Beginner Question - Correctly Identifying the Carburetor 512
I am trying to learn lawnmower/small engine repair. Our old Murray 21" 5hp self propelled mower with a Tecumseh Mark V engine started running high all the time. I did some research on youtube and removed the carburetor. The rubber priming button has completely decomposed.

I was planning on trying to rebuild it, but it looks like replacement carburetors are not that expensive, about $15. In my mind the first step is to identify it correctly to replace it. I am attaching a picture. It looks to me that this is 512, which from a reference that I found here is a 631793. But, when I search for that model on Amazon or eBay, every carburetor does hot have the angle fuel line, they are all straight out.

Have I done the right analysis? Is this a 631793? Can take off the straight connector from the old carburetor and replace it with the angle one? Anything else to help a beginner be successful with his first repair? I can provide more detail or more pictures if that would be helpful.

Tecumseh_512_Carburetor-21-05-28.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would need the number stamp into carburetor and not the casting number.

Tecumseh carburetors will have a manufacturing number stamped on the mounting flange or the body followed by a date code. The mfg. no. on recent models is four digits (early can 2-3 numbers) and is followed by three characters for year, month and day of manufacture.
Tec Carb.JPG

MTUser2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can find looking at the carburetor more closely.

I would need the number stamp into carburetor and not the casting number.

Tecumseh carburetors will have a manufacturing number stamped on the mounting flange or the body followed by a date code. The mfg. no. on recent models is four digits (early can 2-3 numbers) and is followed by three characters for year, month and day of manufacture.
View attachment 56750

MTUser2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Following your advice, I found the number 1548 followed by what looked like LAF, but the middle character is really faint, so that is just a guess. Using the resource, I see that a 1548 is a 632795A. When I look on Amazon, I see that those are available for $14.29 with free shipping and good reviews. More encouraging is the ads specify this is for 5HP lawnmower engine. And, as a bonus, the reviews stated that many start and run problems were fixed by installing the carburetor.

The carb gets here on Thursday June 3, so I know what I will be doing next weekend!