Battery or the relay

jcworks

Threads
I have a Toro MX5060, Kawasaki 23.5 hp. I went to check the battery after this cold spell. It wouldn't turn the motor over. I put battery charger on to charge as it read 9%. Battery is several years old. It kept clicking back to the "Check" red light. I fooled around with it awhile as the voltage was changing all over the place. Finally got it to quit changing voltage and left it on chard an hour or two. Tried starting again and got some rapid clicking sounds - I think that was from the relay switch next to the battery. I kicked up the amps to 8. It started reading 95%. I doubted that but the rapid clicking went away. Tried starting and it turned over only once. Then back to the rapid clicking. I don't want to buy new relay if its not necessary. Does anyone know from my description is it just time for a new battery? I don't want to buy a battery when it might be the relay. I don't know, thats why Im asking. I guess I could hook up a jumper cable from the truck to the mower and see if it started with that but not sure if thats kosher either.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need a new battery.
I wouldn't jump the mower and run it with that battery. The alternator is not designed to run at max output for a long time to charge a dead or damaged (partially frozen) battery.

jcworks

Threads
You need a new battery.
I wouldn't jump the mower and run it with that battery. The alternator is not designed to run at max output for a long time to charge a dead or damaged (partially frozen) battery.
Thank you for your reply. I had not thought about that alternator (magneto) issue . I appreciate that. I'll just check around for another battery. Thanks