Bad boy outlaw extreme shutting off after about 1 minute of PTO being engaged

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bad boy outlaw extreme shutting off after about 1 minute of PTO being engaged
Bad boy outlaw extreme with the 850 Kawasaki engine shuts off after 60 seconds of engaging the PTO. Replaced battery, replaced fuel filter, cleaned air filter. Replaced a bad PTO switch. Jumped out all the switches, does not matter if jumped out. Ran the mower in idle for several hours and its runs fine. As soon as the PTO is engaged I can mow for about 1 minute before it dies. Also popped off the gas vents, still dies. This is repeatable

Also, the mower is slow to start. Takes 20 plus second of cranking before it starts

Beyond my expertise, any help would be great. I just ordered new plugs, and genuine Kawasaki fuel filter, and air filter, and will replace those when they arrive.

Joed756

Threads
  • / Bad boy outlaw extreme shutting off after about 1 minute of PTO being engaged
It isn't the plugs. I think you have a fuel problem. Clean the carb and make sure the choke is working, your problem should go away.

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
It isn't the plugs. I think you have a fuel problem. Clean the carb and make sure the choke is working, your problem should go away.
I will replace the fuel and take the carb out and clean it to see if it makes a different. Very odd to me that it seems to run for about the same time before cutting off

Joed756

Threads
Likely the needle valve is stuck open causing the engine to flood over time. Fix that carb and life will be flowers and rainbows.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also think it may be a fuel problem, but disagree about a rich running condition. More like a lean running condition where the carb cannot supply enough fuel when the PTO is engaged. A good cleaning and rebuild may help you out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with @Rivets I am suspecting a fuel restriction between the tank and carb or possibly a bad fuel pump that is just not allowing enough fuel to keep up with higher engine loads, but enough to maintain fuel for idle/no load. basically the carb bowl is running out of fuel with the deck engaged.

Hardluck

Threads
I agree with @Rivets I am suspecting a fuel restriction between the tank and carb or possibly a bad fuel pump that is just not allowing enough fuel to keep up with higher engine loads, but enough to maintain fuel for idle/no load. basically the carb bowl is running out of fuel with the deck engaged.
Thank you.
How can I test my Fuel pump on Kawasaki FD731 26HP ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The simpliest method for you would be to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, or at the pump and then put a piece of fuel line in its place. Stick the open end into a container and have somebody crank the engine while you observe the fuel being pumped You should have a pulsating stream coming out of the hose that is the fuel diameter of the hose. If it trinkles out or otherwise seems slow it could be suspect providing you are getting fuel flow from the tank and not have a restriction.

If you have good flow then it is time to go into the carb. Pay special attention to the float valve seat. I have had several over the years were garbage builds up above the seat causing an inflow restriction.

Hardluck

Threads
The simpliest method for you would be to disconnect the fuel line at the carb, or at the pump and then put a piece of fuel line in its place. Stick the open end into a container and have somebody crank the engine while you observe the fuel being pumped You should have a pulsating stream coming out of the hose that is the fuel diameter of the hose. If it trinkles out or otherwise seems slow it could be suspect providing you are getting fuel flow from the tank and not have a restriction.

If you have good flow then it is time to go into the carb. Pay special attention to the float valve seat. I have had several over the years were garbage builds up above the seat causing an inflow restriction.
Thank you. Sometimes I just can't see the dollar for the dime. Lol if you know what I'm saying .

Sweatdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took the carb apart and cleaned everything out. I will try to run the mower tomorrow and see if it improves. Refilled gas tanks with non ethanol fuel. I did not see any obvious obstructions in the carb but we will see what happens when i try it tomorrow.