Bad Boy 28hp Diesel 3cyl Cat not charging while mowing

Uncletodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have just acquired this baby from it's original owner who was unable to figure out the problem. I have researched the forums here and found similar problems but no solution for myself. So let me fill you all in on what has already transpired to date. The problem revealed itself as the mower would die after a couple hours mowing due to power loss ie dead battery. The battery was checked, tested good and replaced with new anyway. The alternator was removed, tested good and reinstalled. All relays and fuses were replaced with new. Still the problem remains so the owner purchased another mower. Here is where I come in. I immediately test the charging system by connecting to the battery while parked, 12.2v, then cranking the engine, revving to full throttle and voltage goes to 14.6v, engage pto and no drop in voltage? So I am somewhat confused and happy. So I shut it down let it cool off disconnected the pto clutch and tested the ohms. It is a Warner model 52285 and should test 7.5-7.9 ohms disconnected but lower is not a problem. I disconnected the battery and used test leads to load the pto to test it hot but got no reading whatsoever? My meter simply stuck at OL and never gave a reading? I reconnected battery, cranked her up eguaged pto and attempted test again to no avail. Meter gave no reading at all, just sat at OL! I realize that the one test that did work says that it is charging but this guy would not have let this baby go for next to nothing for no good reason. I'm thinking this pto may be going out intermittently? I must also mention that I removed and cleaned all ground connections. My main question today is am I testing the windings in the pto correctly? I mean while under load? Is there anything else I can possibly do here? Another thought is that as far as I can tell the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. It would not be able able to put out ac voltage and still pop 14 dc volt at the same time? Not possible right?

Uncletodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Bad Boy 28hp Pro Series Compaq Diesel does not have a model number for the mower. The Cat diesel Model no. is C1.1, sn- G8N08547, Arrangement no.- 3168410. The mowers sn is BBD6128CA07121005. I was going to put all of that info under the avatar on the left but have not figured out how to do so as of yet. So far no one has bothered to attempt to assist me in my quest for information. Perhaps Diesel is not popular here? In any event I have installed a volt meter so I can watch it as I mow to verify charging. I'll Post a pic of that shortly as if anyone cares! Still I would like to know how to correctly test that PTO under a load. Also on a side note the starter tanked on me friday and should arrive today!.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Your are right, diesel is not common in mower lawnmowers. And most electrical pto clutches test in the 2.5-3.5 ohm range. Disconnect the electric clutch connector and connect one lead of the meter to one wire and the other lead to the other wire and check the ohms. Could be a case of the electric clutch shorting out hot and pulling more amps then normal, but could also be the case where the voltage regulator is cutting out after getting hot and stops charging the battery.

Uncletodd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE I did that already and it did come to 2.9 but I was told that the warner should be higher and also not to worry about a lower reading. Got any idea why I cannot get a reading under load thought? I have tried connected running and ignition off and with the battery disconnected from the mower. All I get is OL on my meter. No reading whatsoever? I am concerned that I may have an intermittent problem waiting to bite me it the arse at an inopportune moment. I added a volt meter to watch the alternator (vr built in) while mowing.

Attachments

• IMG_20240916_104256.jpg
    IMG_20240916_104256.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240916_104308.jpg
    IMG_20240916_104308.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am guessing the volt meter in the pictures is battery voltage not running. And 2.9 ohms translated to roughly a 4-4.1 amp draw. And if you are using the amp tester on a multimeter and get the OL reading there is a good chance that the internal protection fuse is blown.