B&S-new carb won't idle down

tweeeky

Forum Newbie
Threads
22hp VTwin; New carb and new throttle cable assembly. Starts only if primed and runs full rabbit; cannot get it to idle. Any help? Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did your reset the governor when you replaced the carb? Why did you repeat the carb? Did you purchase a new OEM carb or get one off FleaBay which says this will work on your engine? What was, the part number for the replacement carb. These answers will help us help you. Please post the model, type and code numbers for your engine.

tweeeky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I purchased a carb package on-line because I needed the fuel shutoff solenoid. $165 at JD dealer (just the solenoid), $33 on-line (including complete carb, plugs, fuel and oil filters, air filter . . . !). Even with the old carb the mower idled down only slightly.
Mower is ~2009 LA145; B&S 22hp; Model 407777 / Type 0283 G5 / Code 1104 15YG. Carb did appear to be identical to original (but what'd I know about it? = nuttin). Any knowledge sharing greatly appreciated.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless your engine is water cooled and has full pressure lube, you don't want to idle down. It's full revs until you kill the engine on purpose.

Move the cable to either lengthen or shorten it. Check the revs after you've made adjustments.

tweeeky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unless your engine is water cooled and has full pressure lube, you don't want to idle down. It's full revs until you kill the engine on purpose.

Move the cable to either lengthen or shorten it. Check the revs after you've made adjustments.
Thanks. I have pulled the shroud for starter replacement and cleaned the fins. I believe it is pressure lubed but I could be wrong about that. When I first got it the idle would drop back significantly with throttle pulled back to turtle. I know it should not be allowed to idle for more than a brief few moments occasionally...both pressure and air flow decrease = bad.

tweeeky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another question...there is a vacuum connector on the left side of the engine that is not connected to anything. Is that just a 'breather' or something? There is no vacuum line that I can locate that might go to it. See picture... Thanks.

Attachments

• Vacuum line pic iii.jpg
    Vacuum line pic iii.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1