B&S Intek 22 441777

efair

Threads
Hi,
This is a new engine for me, a family member inherited a non-runner (no spark). I'm looking for the skinny on this engine:
Are there any external timing marks I can check?
Does it have the so-called compression release that limits valve closure at starting?
Is it prone to jump timing?

- I got nothing when I used starting ether, even with the carb removed.
- It doesn't seem to have sufficient starter current, it labors to rotate past TDC, even when jumping from a car.
- I reset the air gap on both coils to .014.
- I checked the valve lash, all four were at .008 or .009.
- I removed the flywheel nut and confirmed the key was not sheared or deformed.
- Compression test showed 60 psi both cyls.

Both coils are extremely rusty, but ohms from the plug lead to ground were in spec.

Any first hand experience testing the coils would be appreciated!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code xxxxxxxx from engine.
the answers to your questions are, no, yes, no, air gap should be .010 at coils, need engine numbers for valve adjustment, compression very low, should be at least 120.

Last edited:

efair

Threads
Briggs and Stratton 441777; type 0117 B1; code 050826YG. I don't have any"trim", where would I find that?

So it does have compression release? Could that account for the low compression? I read elsewhere this is why no compression specs are published.

Is there a separate release mechanism for each cylinder, or just one mechanism for both? I would really like to see how this works.

Next steps while I wait - testing the starter motor and cables.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well he did post the model number. Valve setting is .004 - .006 both Intake and Exhaust Set each cylinder with piston 1/4" down past TDC. . Rust on coils does not affect electromagnetic flux. Might want to clean mounting surfaces, both of coil and mounting studs .010 - .014' air gap. . I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.
Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Tinkerer200

Threads
Briggs and Stratton 441777; type 0117 B1; code 050826YG. I don't have any"trim", where would I find that?

So it does have compression release? Could that account for the low compression? I read elsewhere this is why no compression specs are published.

Is there a separate release mechanism for each cylinder, or just one mechanism for both? I would really like to see how this works.

Next steps while I wait - testing the starter motor and cables.

It does have compression release however it is what I call a passive system which does not have the mechanism which causes most problems. Cam lobes are ground to hold Intake Valves slightly open well into the compression stroke relieving some compression. Adjust valves and don't worry about compression reading for now.

Walt Conner

efair

Threads
This fault came down to 1) incorrect valve lash 2) broken brush carrier in the starter 3) bad ground strap. Yes, a three way problem!

The starter turns the engine over much faster now, and will run on ether now.

Thank you all very much for your guidance, it made all the difference in the world.