B&S engine, intermittent problems.

MEBrown4760

Forum Newbie
Threads
Replaced governor spring thinking that would fix it. Carb is new. Has gas in the tank and the line is clear. Normally it starts fine. After I shut it off and go back to restart it is when it really gives me trouble.
Now when I start it it just revs up and down and eventually sputters out. I tried to upload a video but the files are too large. Even 3 seconds of footage.
Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What were you originally trying to fix. Post all engine numbers so we have an idea what you have.

MEBrown4760

Forum Newbie
Threads
What were you originally trying to fix. Post all engine numbers so we have an idea what you have.
Sorry for the lack of details. This is a Sears Craftsman mower, model number 917.387620.
the engine is B&S # 12H802-2684. I’m trying to solve the problem of it not running consistently. It seems to start ok when it’s cold. If I don’t shut it off it goes till the fuel runs out. When I go to restart it it doesn’t want to start again. Now it will start but but wants to surge back and forth. One post I saw suggested water in the fuel as a possibility. I’m about to go check that out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More than likely you are going to have to clean the carb, as it sounds like a lean fuel condition.