B&S Can 845015 carb be subbed for 843325?

Sean2202

Threads
Greetings,

I have a 18HP Vanguard B&S engine 350447-1331-E1 engine that drips gas randomly B&S carb number 843325. I checked the carb for debris and changed the needle valve out, but it will still leak on occasion. I assume the seat is worn and is not replaceable. I have not tried the "lapping trick" yet but might. Upon searching for the carb, it is no longer available, and nothing supersedes it. I would rather not purchase an amazon one if I could help it.

On newer 18HP B&S Vanguard 356447-0080-G1 engine the carb number is 845015 but the intake manifold and the gaskets are the same part number as the 350 engine. Curious what the difference might be between carbs internally and if I could use the 356 engine carb on the 350 engine. Looks like the 356 carb does not have any adjustments and the upper body of the carb is different because of EPA stuff.

Thanks for any help
Sean

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Same 350447-1331-E1 but built after date code 05101000 uses the 843326 carb and it is still available

Sean2202

Threads
Same 350447-1331-E1 but built after date code 05101000 uses the 843326 carb and it is still available
Great info Thanks!

How do I look up the build date code? I am using the B&S online store with the parts lookup tool. I have found with Toro machines sometimes on older model and serial numbers sometimes parts aren't listed so you have to look up the newest serial number in the model. Is this the case on B&S engines as well?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Your date code is on the same rocker cover as the model number.

But find the info on the carburetor I was doing a PN search on the Briggs Dealer site and looking at all the engines that used 843325 carb when I ran across this reference. Briggs just hasn't gotten it on all the IPLs out there. So it is sorta a secret.

Sean2202

Threads
Your date code is on the same rocker cover as the model number.

But find the info on the carburetor I was doing a PN search on the Briggs Dealer site and looking at all the engines that used 843325 carb when I ran across this reference. Briggs just hasn't gotten it on all the IPLs out there. So it is sorta a secret.
This is great info and very helpful. I really appreciate your time!

So you must have a special "dealer" access to sites to look up reference numbers?

Sean2202

Threads
I forgot to mention that along with the needle valve (797410) I replaced the fuel pump with a Brand-New OEM pump made in Japan from the dealer part number 597388. Is this pump supposed to have a diaphragm in it that stops flow from a gravity fed tank because it does not.

Before I replace the carb, I tried to lap in the seat, cleaned the carb again, checked the fuel shut off solenoid and checked the float valve and bent it down slightly hopefully putting more pressure on the needle valve. This engine has 3414 hours and otherwise runs good.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is great info and very helpful. I really appreciate your time!

So you must have a special "dealer" access to sites to look up reference numbers?
Well it helps as I have been seeing a lot of the sites only having the basic info. I even got a some distributors saying parts for some mower are NLA when in fact the parts are available. MTD distributors are one for example especially if Cub Cadet parts are involved. Having the MTD doesn't do any good. I remember looking a spindle shaft a few year and everyone was saying it NLA then I called Cub and they only had 120 of them in stock.

With this I have learned to research things deeper than most guys and sometime I get lucky on finding info.

And the hockey puck fuel pump does not have check valves to prevent fuel flow when the engine not running. Basically the two check valves provides one way flow. And pressure flowing in the normally just overrides the closed check valves. These check valves only prevents reverse fuel flow. Basically fuel pump is an one way street.

Sean2202

Threads
Well it helps as I have been seeing a lot of the sites only having the basic info. I even got a some distributors saying parts for some mower are NLA when in fact the parts are available. MTD distributors are one for example especially if Cub Cadet parts are involved. Having the MTD doesn't do any good. I remember looking a spindle shaft a few year and everyone was saying it NLA then I called Cub and they only had 120 of them in stock.

With this I have learned to research things deeper than most guys and sometime I get lucky on finding info.

And the hockey puck fuel pump does not have check valves to prevent fuel flow when the engine not running. Basically the two check valves provides one way flow. And pressure flowing in the normally just overrides the closed check valves. These check valves only prevents reverse fuel flow. Basically fuel pump is an one way street.
Great info again Thanks!

Yes, Cub Cadet is a PIA. My father-in-law has a Yanmar tractor which had a partnership with Cub Cadet. What a nightmare trying to find anything.

I always want to find the "why" before just replacing things. I hate just parts replacing. The guys tell me that I waste too much time researching and diagnosing stuff. Which may be true. I try to learn something along the way. If I just replace parts I learned nothing. Today I learned something from you so Thank you!

As far as the engine goes, I am going to monitor it before purchasing a carb. At least I know which one to get now if I need to go that route.

I have a great appreciation for information and knowledgeable individuals. When I called my dealer and asked about a carb they just said "unavailable, nothing supersedes." My local dealer has over 100 years in business, and I spoke with a knowledgeable person. I just expect more effort.

Thank you again @StarTech you made my day!