B&S 550ex cracked block

Axle

Forum Newbie
Threads
This weekend I was mowing my lawn and noticed some smoke coming from the mower. I stopped and saw that the side of the block had cracked. It starts at one of the bolts to the sump and runs all the way up the side to the top of the block. My mower is a 3 year old Husqvarna with a B&S 550ex. I've always done regular maintenance and never had any difficulty with the engine until now. I store the mower in the garage and am not rough on it so I can't believe the block crack after just 3 years. None of the bolts were loose either so I don't know what could have caused this. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Since I've only had it for 3 years I'm not very excited about having to buy a new mower and of course it only had a 2yr warranty so that doesn't help me. I'm thinking about replacing the block with a used one thats in good shape and rebuilding the engine. I disassembled the engine and everything else looks like its in good shape so I feel like it would work fine with a new block. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Is getting a used block a bad idea? (A brand new block cost $160 so I'd just as soon buy a new mower) Aside from some gaskets that will need replacing, should I replace the piston rings? These ones look good but if I'm putting the piston in a different block I wonder if new rings would be needed.

Thanks in advance

Threads
I assume that's the newer style Briggs with the plastic carb on the left side of the engine when looking from the back..

If it is, then that's a weak spot on those engines... Sumps too crack all the time.........

You might be able to get a short block from Small Engine warehouse in Indiana for about 60 or 70 bux.......

The best way to go is a short block or a 80 dollar Predator from HF....