B&D Battery Charge Preservation

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought one of the B&D quick charger that look similar to the double above. I swear it shortened the life of my batteries so I have stopped using it.

Mr Mode , Go to the site. It's an interesting read.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, let's not stop this discussion. I just pulled out my two NiCads after sitting 6 mos with no charge. I charged both with the black charger and they spun the chain on the saw with no problem. I did not try cutting. You probably could not revive a lead acid after neglect of 6 months??

It seems the NiCad is a different animal and does indeed not need nor like constant trickle charge? My batteries are about 5 years old.:anyone:

ModernMode

Threads
FIVE YEARS OLD?????
You're doing fantastic if you're getting 5 years and they're still working good. I don't get near that with my 18 volt Black & Decker batteries.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
FIVE YEARS OLD?????
You're doing fantastic if you're getting 5 years and they're still working good. I don't get near that with my 18 volt Black & Decker batteries.

Mode, yeah, followed the owner's guidelines on NOT storing with full charge and NOT USING THE HABIT WE MAY ALL HAVE (from lead acid bats) OF CONSTANT TRICKLE CHARGING.

I know doing like the owners manual is really hard, but seems to work. I am always surprised when the batteries are still alive. Go to site in this thread . It promises 20 YEARS!!!:cool2:

ModernMode

Threads
Living in North Carolina though, we usually have mild winters so I can't assume I won't need it. I've still had some grass growing so I used my string trimmer last week.