Ariens Max Zoom 60 RH hydro issues

aquartlow

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, I'd like to say hello, this is my first post and greatly appreciate any and all information and advice this forum could afford me in resolving my zero turn mower's current issue. I purchased a used Ariens Max Zoom 60 with 65.6 hours and found the RH side transaxle is slower than the LH side. I tried linkage adjustments to no avail. I changed the oil and filters, still no change. I then removed the RH transaxle Hydro-Gear # ZM-GEEB-5LLF-2MLX and opened it up. I found the motor block had 2 broken springs under the pistons and one spring that lost tension (piston height is visually shorter than the other 5 pistons), I purchased and installed a new motor block and I also replaced the other motor within this transaxle as well. I also removed most of the seals and replaced them with a new seal kit. Upon inspection, there was virtually no visible wear within this transaxle, which was a relief. Upon reinstallation, refill and purge process, I was confident that the problem was fixed, not so. The RH transaxle tire still spins about 1/2 the speed in forward as it does in reverse (found this during the purging of air process), it takes about 1/2 or so RH joystick forward travel to get the tire to start moving, the LH side takes very little forward joystick travel for it's tire to spin forward. I was thinking I may need to replace charge pump/gears(it does have the upgraded pump cover already), but seeing how it works in reverse has me wondering if this isn't the case. I may be pulling it gain this weekend, just to verify that everything is correctly installed and double check things. Please advise, thank you in advance. Todd

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you push the lever forward does it move the control arm on the hydro? Or is there slop in the control linkage?

aquartlow

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you push the lever forward does it move the control arm on the hydro? Or is there slop in the control linkage?
There doesn't seem to be any slop in the linkage. Moving the joystick, instantly moves the transaxle mounted linkage arm. Thank you for the reply!

aquartlow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: A couple days ago I removed the RH transaxle and re-opened it to double check my previous work, but this time I removed the rubber plugs on the charge tube end of the centersection and removed thetwo valves found under the plugs. They were tightly installed, with no debris in either valve and each valve was of different design. I double checked each component as I removed them from the case. I re-installed all the parts, resealed and reinstalled the transaxle filled it with 20w-50 and purged it numerous times and could tell there was better hydraulic pressure and the joystick had better travel characteristics, as far as wheel speed was concerned while wheels were off the ground. I tried to run the mower to test ground speed but the RH side was still weak,. I tried to get mower back into my warehouse that has a driveway with an incline and it wouldn't traverse it and the unit sounded like it was cavitating. After few choice words I realized that the only part not changed out as far as the hydraulic system was concerned was the charge pump/components, then it dawned on me. I purchased a new complete seal kit before I initially removed this transaxle and upon reinstalling the charge pump cover, I noticed the original cover O-ring was round and the new replacement is a square cut O-ring, but it also has a larger cross section=taller. I'm thinking that if it is in deed a taller O-ring(I did throw the old one out), then it could be possible for elevated clearances between the charge pump cover/gears and the charge pump's centersection mating surface using the same torque specs for bolt tightening, thus not allowing optimum oil pump pressure to wheel motor and motor block within this transaxle, basically either bypassing hydraulic pressure or not producing enough pressure due to clearance issues. Maybe I'm off base with this theory, but I believe my issue resides within the charge pump section of this transaxle and either the O-ring or the charge pump itself.is the culprit. Any recommendations or advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.