Ariens 986103 Edger stalls when blade engaged

djc6

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Ariens 986103 walk behind Edger stalls when the blade is engaged. It starts easily. It has an LCT engine PLMHK14400124PBCKPQTUVZ36E1M - it doesn't see a lot of use, just use it a few times a season at my home.

I've only ever used ethanol free gas in the Edger. I run it dry end of the season. I took apart the carb and it looks very clean inside, I could see easily through the jet. I change the oil annually. Air filter is in great shape.

One thing I noticed is there is a rubber hose running from the top of the gas tank into something the parts diagram calls the "Carbon Canister". This hose has deteriorated and is no longer connected to the carbon canister, its just dangling at that end under the edger. Would stalling as soon as I engage the blade be a symptom of this broken hose, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks!

djc6

Forum Newbie
Threads
Reconnecting that hose didn't help.

Replacing the Torch F6RTC spark plug with an NGK 7131/BPR6ES spark plug got it going again! It didn't look too bad, some carbon buildup but nothing crazy.

I didn't check that earlier because its so hard to access - so I went up to harbor freight and got the Pittsburgh Universal Joint Socket Adapter Set which worked great to get me access to that spark plug!