Ariens 911017 Lawnmower - self propel not working

Lawnmowerfix&sell

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ariens 911017 Lawnmower - self propel not working
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a Ariens lawnmower that was not running. Once I got it running I found out the self propel didn’t work! It just barely tugs the mower but that’s it. The belt looks fine but the friction wheel looks like its missing the friction ring? I’ve seen some mowers not have them and just have the bare metal piece and still self propel. Im thinking the self propel cable is stretched out not allowing me to fully engage it. Any tips on adjusting the self propel cable?image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 3

upupandaway

Threads
Next to the vertical spring is the cable which activates the self propel. You can adjust the nut to shorten the cabel thus tighten the disk but yeah, it looks pretty worn. The last time i tried this shortcut is when my 70's Case skid steer was worn out like your situation(before case sold hydraulic drive). My shortcut scored the drive disk so i had to replace both parts.
I actually have the exact same mower with a similar problem. Being made in the 80's, my rubber wheel is hard as a rock slipping so it won't move very fast. At least mine, it helps making it alot easier to push. (I tried the screw i mentioned with no luck)

Lawnmowerfix&sell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I found the friction ring on Amazon from mtd, from the measurements I took it looks like it should fit and it is about 8 dollars cheaper and buying it from Ariens. It should be coming in soon and I’ll see if it works!

upupandaway

Threads
If it works out, please post the part #\where u got it. Someday I'll replace mine.