Ariens 1634 Quit while cutting, now it won't do anything

Luv2Trip

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ariens 1634 Quit while cutting, now it won't do anything
I hope that the collective can help me out here. I was cutting my yard and everything was working as it should. I have a zoom 1634 with the kohler motor. Cut the front yard, 1/2 way through the back yard and then it just died. In the middle of cutting.... It had plenty of gas but still no go. Tried to start it and nothing. No cranking, no clicking, no anything. I have checked and replaced both of the 30A fuses and checked all the connections. Checked the seat switch and the parking brake switch and they seem to be fine, or at least connected. Don't know where to go from there. I have not spent a bunch of time with it since it died. I have a broken leg and ankle (3 weeks since surgery) and can't put any weight on it. So after spending a couple of hours on my knees trying to check all connections and replacing the fuses to no avail, I figured that I would get some advice before wasting a bunch of time. So what should I check? What should I try?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Know that this procedure was made for tractors, with a little tweaking you can use it on a Zoom.

Electrical* problems can be very easy or very difficult, depending on four things.
1. * How well you understand basic electricity.
2. *What tools you have and know how to use.
3. *How well you follow directions.
4. *You don't overlook or assume anything and verify everything.

Remember we cannot see what you are doing. *You are our eyes, ears and fingers in solving this problem. *You must be as accurate as you can when you report back. *The two basic tools we will ask you to use are a test light and a multi-meter. *If you have an assistant when going through these tests it would be very helpful. *These steps work the best when done in order, so please don't jump around. *Now let's solve this problem.

First, check the fuse(s), check battery connections for corrosion (clean if necessary) and *voltage - above 12.5 volts should be good.*

Second, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. *One of the wires is connected directly to the battery and has power all the time so one of the large terminals should light a test light or show 12 volts on a meter at all times.*

Third, *check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while depressing the clutch/brake pedal and holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. *If your solenoid is a three wire solenoid, make sure the solenoid body is not corroded where it bolts to the chassis of the mower as this is your ground path back to the battery. *If in doubt, remove the solenoid and clean the mounting area down to bare metal. *If there is no power to the small terminal then your problem is most likely a safety switch, ignition switch or in the wiring.*

Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again). *If you have power what is the voltage?

Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

After you have gone through each of the above steps, let us know what happened when you did each step. *At that point we will have great info to tell you how to proceed. *Remember you are our eyes, ears, and fingers, so please be as accurate as possible.

Be as specific as possible with voltage readings as this will help diagnose your problem quicker. *If you do not know how to perform the above checks, just ask and I will try to guide you through it. *Youtube also has some videos and as you know a picture is worth a thousand words.

Luv2Trip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets, thanks for the info. So I checked the battery and it tested out good. No power to the little poles on the solenoid. So then I took it a step farther and took the ignition switch panel off and checked for power at the switch. No power at the switch. So I know there is the seat safety switch, and then the parking brake switch that both have to be engaged to energize the switch. Both of those were engaged but the ignition switch was not energized. So what else could be the cause for no power at the ignition switch?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To pin point where the problem is located you have to follow the procedure. Remember we can't see, feel or hear what you do. If you report back what you found at each step it would help us greatly. Reread reminder #4.

I should add that between step 2&3 there is something you can do if you get no voltage at step 3. Off the large terminal on the solenoid, which has the battery cable connected, you should find a small wire going to the key switch. It will connect to the B terminal of the key switch. You should have 12V here at all times. When you turn the key switch to the start position you should get 12V on the S terminal. This wire goes to one one the small terminals of the starter solenoid.

You don't tell us which Kohler engine you have, so I must assume you have a starter which has externally mounted solenoid. If you have a starter mounted solenoid, these steps have to be tweaked to locate the problem. The very first thing you must check is to make sure that each connection or wire you test is clean and tight, starting with both cables on the battery plus the battery ground to the chassis.

After completing the entire procedure, report back with what you found and we will help you locate the problem.