Are Actual SEALED bearings Available?

tgzzzz

Threads
At 200 hours, routine maintenance has found a spindle and a ZT front wheel bearing that need help. I am familiar with the current rubber shielded bearings. And I'm assuming that the ZZ designation has double metal shielding. If the shields are removed, one can see the bearings ... that ain't sealed. I know at some point in the past, really sealed sealed brgs were out there. What would ID a really sealed brg?
For ref, the spindle brg is a 6305. the wheel brg is 499502. Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First what are you working on. The 499502 is coming as a possible Murray 99502H bearing which definitely not a 6305 bearing. Now I may not the that particular vendor pn in my system.
1722862852437.png

What is considered a sealed bearing is the 2RS bearings which uses rubber coated shielding. ZZ are partially sealed mainly from dust and debris. Otherwords you can force grease into a ZZ but not 2RS bearings. So does the spindle have grease zerk or not. This determines which version to use.

Last edited:

tgzzzz

Threads
Let me try again. "For ref, the spindle brg is a 6305. the wheel brg is 499502." The 499502 is from a zt front wheel. It's a Bad Boy but so what? I am asking just the one simple question in the title:

Are Actual SEALED bearings Available?​

No offense intended Star Tech, and you've been helpful in the past but it doesn't seem that you actually read my original post. Please pardon any snark. I'm way past being a new guy that needs some 'splainin' about "shields" or zerk fittings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry that pn still does not come up even on the Bad Boy site. Please double check your PN and if possible post the serial number of the mower.1722864522154.png

IF the explanation on bearing is not good enough then contact Carnell Sales and Maybe they can answer your question. They are at the following website and use their contact page.

tgzzzz

Threads
Sorry that pn still does not come up even on the Bad Boy site. Please double check your PN and if possible post the serial number of the mower.View attachment 69411

IF the explanation on bearing is not good enough then contact Carnell Sales and Maybe they can answer your question. They are at the following website and use their contact page.

Thanks for the cite. I didn't anticipate this being so difficult. Here's a pic of the actual culprit. I was able to get a couple from AutoZone. They came in a brown carton labeled "Agricultural Bearings." $4. each. They are 2RS ... which led to my original question.

Attachments

• re sized .jpg
    re sized .jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 4

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1722868490496.png

In millimeters
The 99502HNR is 16X34.9X11
And 6305-2RS is 25X62x17

The Bad Boy PN is 022-7009-00 (022-70090-00) for the 99502HNR bearing.

As for the seal they just use the 99502H seals even though it is a 99502H-NR bearing. I see this a lot with other bearings too so you must know what you are looking at.

Last edited:

Forest#2

Threads
Just something to think about:
This also really does not answer your question about if the seals actually seal the bearings.
BUT what I've seen is: (Im referring to roller bearing of the type you refer to, not timken tapered bearings.
In last few years for NEW replacement lawn tractor bearings for my own equipment I prefer the plastic seals type so as I can pop out the plastic sealand pack the bearing with new grease because I see several new bearing have little to no grease when new. I pack the new ones and when inspecting a used bearing if it's still running smooth, especially spindle deck bearings I pop the seal, clean, re-pack and re-install the seal. (and also idler pulley seals if I can grease them from the lower side and get a good re-seal of the plastic seal. If the spindle has a Zerk I sometimes leave the Zerk facing side of the bearing open to receive grease BUT main thing is I repack them.
I'm not convinced that on a mower deck spindle that the bearings are receiving non-contaminated grease from the zerk spindle. The grease in the spindle housing might just be a heat sink and actually eventually takes on some contaminants and does more harm than good? (I cannot tell any difference in the life of a spindle deck bearing that I've re-packed and re-installed the plastic seal vs leaving the seal off and using the zerk and thinking I'm really doing a good thing when adding more grease later)
If the seal has the one plastic seal on the opposite side of the bearing from the spindle zerk the seal can be pushed/blowed out from applying too much grease.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually some grease in the bearings is very poor grade of grease. I like to repack then when I can with EP2 wheel bearing grease here.