Anyone know what ignition modules are compatible with an ASAM->MDI conversion on a CH25?

Threads
  • / Anyone know what ignition modules are compatible with an ASAM->MDI conversion on a CH25?
My ZTR has stopped making spark and the grass is getting long.

I am having trouble figuring out what coils (ignition modules) my ZTR needs as I cannot find the ones that are on it now.

The engine is a Kohler CH25-68533 in a Yazoo Kees 61" ZTR, Model ZKH61252.

It was converted from an ASAM ignition to an MDI (or at least the shop owner I bought it from thought it was originally an ASAM and not a DSAM/DSAI but who knows).

(As best as I can figure, Command Pros were equipped with ASAI while Courage models were DSAI, even though the CH25 service manual seems to say otherwise: maybe someone can shed light on this ASAI/DSAI discrenpency).

The current ignition modules/coils which were working ('til they weren't) were INEL (brand?) 32 584 01 (see attached pic). There are a bunch of 32 584 0X -- 3, 4,5,6, etc.-- out there, but not any 01.

As it is a 25HP Command Pro, the ASAM->MDI kit per Kohler PB-265 would have been 24 755 308-S, a kit which includes a flywheel, ignition modules/coils and some wiring.

The DSAI kit states the module part but the ASAM kit does not (at least not what I could find).

I don't want to buy a whole new kit if I don't have to as I don't (think) I need a new flywheel, just the coils.

But I can't seem to find the part number for these MDI coils in that kit or any cross-reference thereof.

Does anyone know what ignition modules came with the ASAM->MDI? or what cross-referenced modules are compatible/will work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Coil Pack.gif
    Coil Pack.gif
    149.1 KB · Views: 7

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Anyone know what ignition modules are compatible with an ASAM->MDI conversion on a CH25?
Double check the model and spec. that spec number isn't showing as valid on the Kohler site. The first Commands used the ASAM, then went to DSAM, and to the DSAI and then to MDI. The 32 584 01 isn't a valid Kohler number but could of been a production part number. Also the 32 was normally a Courage twin part number prefix.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is a pic of a CDI coil on the right. A MDI coil in the middle and a DSAI coil on the left. The MDI and DASI coil work on the same flywheel. The CDI coil work on a slightly larger flywheel. If you bolt the CDI coil onto a motor with DSAI/MDI flywheel the gap will be too large. Hope this helps. You may need to buy an MDI conversion kit to get the coils you need

Attachments

• 1585916931119.jpg
    1585916931119.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Threads
Thanks for that explanation.

Now I am not sure whether I have a CDI or MDI. is there any way to tell from the flywheel?

There is no model tag on the motor (long since power washed off?), but CH25-68533 model number is listed on the Kohler parts site (http://www.kohlerenginesparts.com/ -- this is the Kohler site, right?) under:

Command Pro Twin CH/CV17-25 --> CH25 --> CH25-68533-YAZOO 25HP (18.6kW)

There are three (3) different electrical/ignition diagrams, and while all of them show a coil, none of them have a coil part number listed.

And I did see that the "32" tend to be for the Courage engine while "24" is for the Command. Remember the guy I bought this Yazoo from is a country-type repair guy, so he probably just put in what he had lying around.

I do know that the 32 584 01 coils did work: there is no way that they could be CDI but working on a MDI flywheel or vice versa?

OPE sent me a link to these "24" Kohlers that cross-reference to my "32" coils.

I am still a little concerned about the single versus 2 spade config, but perhaps there is continuity between these two spades.

Bottom line is that I guess I am either buying these and hope they work or just buying the whole MDI kit (coils+flywheel).

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
From looking at you coil it appears to be an MDI coil. I don't know why but kohler does not seem to offer the MDI coil as a spare part but only in the conversion kits. If your engine was already converted you should have the correct flywheel for MDI coils and just need the DSAI kit with only coils and no flywheel.

Threads
. . . or should I just go right to the MDI flywheel+coils kit and be done with all the guessing?

Thoughts?

Threads
Any way to tell what flywheel I have (CDI or DSAI/MDI)?

I note that the ASAM conversion kit flywheel has the number 2458 stamped on it.

kohlerope_24755308S.jpg

Threads
I might have found my "coil" problem, which may well not be the reason I have no spark.

Not being able to identify the flywheel I had -- the CDI type or the MDI type (see above) -- I was ready to "bite the bullet" and just buy a new ASAM conversion kit so I was sure that the coils and flywheel were compatible.

Before doing that, I wanted to make sure I could actually get the old flywheel off, so I finally pulled the engine from the Yazoo frame (took all of 20 min), got it up on the bench and pulled the flywheel.

One thing I noticed right away is that the legacy flywheel has two grooves in it that accept two corresponding ears from the fan and position it (see pics). Can anyone identify this as a CDI flywheel?

From the he ASAM conversion flywheel pics from OPE, there are no such grooves on the MDI flywheel, so I figured I would have to get out the grinder and lope off those ears on the fan to get it to seat properly on the flywheel (the fan also had two dowels on it to help with alignment so I wasn't too concerned about this mod).

However, before I took the grinder to the fan, I thought to myself "hey what happened to the key positioning the flywheel on the crank? I don't remember seeing it, did it pop off when we pulled the flywheel?" So I went back to the bench looking around for it and found it -- in two pieces. It had sheared: one piece was in the flywheel and the other in the crank.

When I finally reached that old country mechanic who sold me the Yazoo about whether he had upgraded the coils, he mentioned that this could happen, and he said to check the key as they can shear and throw off the timing of the ignition. Sometimes nothing beats experience.

So I am getting a new key, putting it all back together and seeing what happens.

Stay tuned.Flywheel Composite Picture.jpg