Anyone convert their battery tools for lithium rc packs?

sporkk

Threads
  • / Anyone convert their battery tools for lithium rc packs?
I was planning to stay with corded tools but had the urge to research on how to rebuild my 18v packs for a B&D trimmer. It seems like more trouble than its worth and I don't want to keep buying the standard nicad packs that don't last very long. Then I came across a thread about people using lithium rc packs for their tools.

Lipo seems to be a cheaper option but you do need a voltage monitor for the balance plug so you don't run them to low. They don't fit in the standard packs so I'm thinking of emptying out the old trimmer pack and running some wires out of the box so I can attach a deans plug. Then I could use some velcro straps through the handle to hold the new battery on the bottom. I could also open the trimmer and run some wires out with a deans plug but the other way would keep it compatible with the standard batteries.

Maybe not the most elegant solution but should be vastly more usable than the standard packs. I thought about buying a new lithium trimmer but the replacement packs for the toro I was looking at are around a hundred dollars should I ever need one. I can get a 5s high capacity lipo from hobby king for 40 bucks.

As I mentioned in my other thread I do prefer using corded stuff over gas but I'm trying to find ways to make yard maintenance quicker.

ModernMode

Threads
I'm curious how long you've been getting from the 18v packs. I have the string trimmer, blower, bush trimmer, and light. I have always gotten 3 years use out of my batteries.

sporkk

Threads
actually 3 years is about what I got out of mine. I should have brought them inside during the winter though. I think harbor freight sells a 18v pack and with a little diy you can switch out the insides so the connectors match. There is a video on youtube or a blog somewhere iirc.