Export thread

Anti scalp wheels making noise

W

wolf lake

I purchased a new 226v Grasshopper this year with a 60" deck. the mower only has 10 hours on it and it make strange noise that I think is coming from the anti scalp center roller. Has anyone else had this issue?

S

slomo

Mower off, roll the wheels with your hand. Do they make the same noise?

Or are you hearing hydro pump noises?

W

wolf lake

yes, it will make a similar sound when rolling with my hand. not hydro pumps.

S

slomo

yes, it will make a similar sound when rolling with my hand. not hydro pumps.
So what do you think that is telling you? Not trying to be difficult. Just a learning experience. Might need new wheels or bearings if it has them? Little dry lube maybe?

M

MParr

Are your anti-scalp rollers in constant contact with the ground? They should not be. Those rollers are not designed for supporting the deck. Move all of the anti-scalp rollers to the top holes in the mounting brackets. Add some lithium spray lube to the pins at the rollers.

W

wolf lake

So what do you think that is telling you? Not trying to be difficult. Just a learning experience. Might need new wheels or bearings if it has them? Little dry lube maybe?
Sir, I just thought I was posting to a site where Grasshopper owners may have had the same problem with a new mower and possible had an easy fix. thanks for your wisdom.

W

wolf lake

Are your anti-scalp rollers in constant contact with the ground? They should not be. Those rollers are not designed for supporting the deck. Move all of the anti-scalp rollers to the top holes in the mounting brackets. Add some lithium spray lube to the pins at the rollers.
The lithium spray lube sounds like a plan. Thanks for you response.

M

MParr

The lithium spray lube sounds like a plan. Thanks for you response.
Make sure that you move the anti-scalp wheels to the upper bolt holes.

S

slomo

Sir, I just thought I was posting to a site where Grasshopper owners may have had the same problem with a new mower and possible had an easy fix. thanks for your wisdom.
You got all I had so enjoy your day.

W

wolf lake

Update; it seems that the anti-scalp wheel was spinning too freely. Added washers on each side to add friction, slowing it down and noise when away.