Another Newbie Needing Solid Advice On ZTR Mowers

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the dealer accepted my offer for the Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDC, which was my favorite of all that I looked at, and I got it for almost $1,000 less out-the door than the MSRP(plus taxes). It was a little more than I started out planning to spend but I believe I will be very pleased with this mower. Again, thanks to those that offered advice that helped me make an informed decision!!!

big daddy ray

Threads
i love my scags this is a life long machine w/a kaw ingine and a fab type deck is a combo that will last a life time also parts if you need them are readily available

Bill Hoffman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kubota ZD221. Absolutely bulletproof. No repairs in 3 seasons, just oil and grease, sharpen blades.
Spendy, but worth it.:thumbsup:

Bill

wrede

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just saw your thread and see you have purchased a Gravely ZTR. I have a 148Z with the 21 hp engine, and hydraulic deck lift. I bought it around 2004, and it replaced a 50" Gravely riding tractor that was 25 years old, and had 1300 hours on its Onan engine, which siezed. I'm a lifeling Gravely fan, going back to the Model L, and find the ZTR to be an excellent machine. I have 460 hours on it, and find it to be reliable. I had two minor issues, very early on. The bolt holding the safety clutch to the motor shaft came loose, fell out actually, and I had to replace it using Loktite. Fortunately, the clutch wasn't damaged. I also had the drive belt wear through one of the hydraulic hoses, and replaced that. I'd say both problems were just odd assembly oversights. The machine has been bulletproof since then. I find it to be extremely rugged, like the old Gravelys, and have only done the normal oil changes and blade sharpening over the last 7 years or so.

silvermon

Forum Newbie
Threads
There have already been many good replies on this thread. I would like to just add, I have both ExMark (Pro 26" walk behind) and Toro (Zmaster Z400) with the Kawasaki engines and have been very happy. Fluid replacement is fairly easy and the units have been very reliable. The Toro needed a clutch ($280.00 at about 275 hrs) after 10 acres of very tall wet grass. I also like the safety arrangements on both machines. Toro are expensive I think, but I feel they are worth it.

luvatenor

Threads
I recently purchased a used Exmark Z-XS with a Kubota diesel engine. I have about 4-5 acres of lawn(more like a field), which took me about 4 hours to do with my Craftsman 42" rider. Once I was able to control the exmark(the steering arms were new to me), it took me about 35 minutes to finish. If you need a really professional, incredible well built machine, I strongly recommend the Exmark-all of their ZTR's appear to be built similarly- fabricated decks(not stamped) and a massive frame.

Tindal

Threads
I have the husky MZ6128 fab deck and 3400 drives , great machine it will cut at 10 mph with amazing results . great handling , very nimble for a large machine . and at 5000.00 compare and see why I went with the MZ .

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just saw your thread and see you have purchased a Gravely ZTR. I have a 148Z with the 21 hp engine, and hydraulic deck lift. I bought it around 2004, and it replaced a 50" Gravely riding tractor that was 25 years old, and had 1300 hours on its Onan engine, which siezed. I'm a lifeling Gravely fan, going back to the Model L, and find the ZTR to be an excellent machine. I have 460 hours on it, and find it to be reliable. I had two minor issues, very early on. The bolt holding the safety clutch to the motor shaft came loose, fell out actually, and I had to replace it using Loktite. Fortunately, the clutch wasn't damaged. I also had the drive belt wear through one of the hydraulic hoses, and replaced that. I'd say both problems were just odd assembly oversights. The machine has been bulletproof since then. I find it to be extremely rugged, like the old Gravelys, and have only done the normal oil changes and blade sharpening over the last 7 years or so.

wrede,
Thanks for sharing your experience with Gravely products!!! I've only owned this one but after reading your response I am further convinced it will be the last mower I ever buy. That was my intention with retirement 1-2 years away and not wanting the expense of a mower purchase on fixed income(funny, I've ALWAYS considered myself to be on "fixed income" since my paycheck deposit never changes:0) Come to find out I've got a friend I went to business college with back in the 70's and we've crossed paths at a recent employer and have stayed in touchwith and I just found out he bought a new Gravely 260Z six years ago and he's had the same experience as you(dependable, with very few problems if any). Like I've said, the Gravely was more $ than I started out thinking I could get a "commercial quality" ZTR for that would last me a lifetime, but it wasn't very much more than some of the top "Residential" ZTR's I looked at and this one is definitely a full-fledged commercial in every sense of the word. Thanks again for sharing!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the husky MZ6128 fab deck and 3400 drives , great machine it will cut at 10 mph with amazing results . great handling , very nimble for a large machine . and at 5000.00 compare and see why I went with the MZ .

Tindal,

I was almost ready to pull the string on a Husqvarna MZ5424S which could have saved me some money over the Gravely I ended up buying, but it didn't have the fab deck like yours and the 61" that you have wouldn't fit in my garage(I had a 54" lawn tractor, but this 52" ZTR is a tighter fit than it was and BARELY fits....sure am glad i didn't get the 54" Bad Boy without "measuring to be sure"...don't think it would have fit). Like many, you probably got a lot of bang for your buck but when I looked at the Gravely, saw how heavy-duty all the components were(7 gauge deck and weighs 1150 lbs) and that it carried a lifetime deck & frame warranty I just couldn't resist coughing up the extra bucks.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
There have already been many good replies on this thread. I would like to just add, I have both ExMark (Pro 26" walk behind) and Toro (Zmaster Z400) with the Kawasaki engines and have been very happy. Fluid replacement is fairly easy and the units have been very reliable. The Toro needed a clutch ($280.00 at about 275 hrs) after 10 acres of very tall wet grass. I also like the safety arrangements on both machines. Toro are expensive I think, but I feel they are worth it.
Silvermon,
The Toro Z Master 2000 series 52" was inthe mix when I was shopping, but the Graveley's 3 Year Consumer/1,000 hour bumper-to-bumper warranty and lifetime deck & frame warranty beat all the other brands I looked at hands-down.