An old Lawn Mower Tail

lar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had an old brigs 3 HP lawn mower when my wife and I got married. A hand me down that vibrated and shook so bad you could hardly hold on to it. After a couple of years I got tired of keeping it running and decided that the next year i would get a new one. So behind the shed went the old one. Come spring I discovered that i didn't have the money for a new mower. When i went behind the shed the old mower was covered in leaves and dirt. I cleaned it of and grabbed the pull cord and almost tore my fingers from my hand on the first pull. It was seized solid so i turned it upside down and turned the blade until it broke free. Once it was free turned it back on its wheels and pulled the rope. You would not believe it but it started right up. Smoked like crazy but ran good once the smoke cleared. Kept it for an long time after. I wonder if BRIGS @ SCRAP Iron, build them as good today?

Opti-Mist

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's not obvious how old your is but I still have two from the early '70s. One I bought at K-Mart in '73 is a 3 hp and has seen a lot of use and abuse and still runs well though the wheel are pretty wobbly now. The other came from Wards a couple of years earlier. It's a 3hp as well and still runs well. Those old 3 hp Briggs engines were tough. After hp was redefined for those little engines you started seeing 3-1/2 hp then increasing up to 5 hp and they don't run as well nor seem to last as long either.

jimbo64

Threads
I had an old brigs 3 HP lawn mower when my wife and I got married. A hand me down that vibrated and shook so bad you could hardly hold on to it. After a couple of years I got tired of keeping it running and decided that the next year i would get a new one. So behind the shed went the old one. Come spring I discovered that i didn't have the money for a new mower. When i went behind the shed the old mower was covered in leaves and dirt. I cleaned it of and grabbed the pull cord and almost tore my fingers from my hand on the first pull. It was seized solid so i turned it upside down and turned the blade until it broke free. Once it was free turned it back on its wheels and pulled the rope. You would not believe it but it started right up. Smoked like crazy but ran good once the smoke cleared. Kept it for an long time after. I wonder if BRIGS @ SCRAP Iron, build them as good today?

just had to send a 1964 lawn boy two cycle to the promised land after all these good years-lost compression and would have needed a complete rebuild--best mower I have ever had bar none. sounded like a sewing machine running. great product back then:thumbsup:-even had an aluminum deck so no rust