Alternative fuel pumps for 61A SST w/Kawaski 29DFI engine

Bill32

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Alternative fuel pumps for 61A SST w/Kawaski 29DFI engine
These things seem to cost about $500 for Scag dealers. I am not sure of the SCAG or Kawasaki Part number as it is not shown on the diagrams or parts lists, they just say see engine manufacturer. I can't image there is more than one type plump used on the Kawasaki FD791 D fuel injected engines, but I can't find the pump number. Help. Also, is there some alternative pump or conversion kit or something to use instead? I have seen posts about people using an Airtex E8228 pump, but I don't know what the specs are for the OEM pump on my mower (fllow volume and PSI output). Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bill Haas

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need a regulated fuel pressure of 177 ± 5 kPa (1.8 ± 0.05 kg/cm2, 25.6 ± 0.7 psi) for that FD791D-AS03 engine.

Discharge flow rate 120 mL or more/3 seconds at high idle speed (3600rpm)

Kawasaki Fuel Pump PN 49040-2079
Fuel pressure regulator PN 16162-2053

Bill32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Star Tech: Why did I need the pressure regulator? There is not one on my Turf Tiger now and I am pretty sure the pump on it is original.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I using the FD791D-AS03 IPL and it is there and yes there should be one in your system.

FD791D-AS03 4 Stroke Engine FD791D FUEL-TANK/FUEL-VALVE​

fd791d-as03 Fuel pump.JPG

Bill32

Forum Newbie
Threads
I assume the #16162 in above picture is the pressure regulator. Well, it is not there on my Turf Tiger, and don't see where it should be located. I can clearly trace the fuel line from the tank, to the in-line shut-off valve, to fuel filter, to pump, and from pump to inlet at throttle body on top of engine. I also note that when the fuel pump was working properly, it did not seem like it had all that much pressure. I could disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body immediately after shutdown and it seemed like the remaining pressure was just a few Lbs. Also, with fuel line disconnected and key on, fuel flow was low volume and you could stop it with little finger pressure.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Find the fuel return line and trace it.
Scag 29 DFI.JPG

txmowman

Threads
I assume the #16162 in above picture is the pressure regulator. Well, it is not there on my Turf Tiger, and don't see where it should be located. I can clearly trace the fuel line from the tank, to the in-line shut-off valve, to fuel filter, to pump, and from pump to inlet at throttle body on top of engine. I also note that when the fuel pump was working properly, it did not seem like it had all that much pressure. I could disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body immediately after shutdown and it seemed like the remaining pressure was just a few Lbs. Also, with fuel line disconnected and key on, fuel flow was low volume and you could stop it with little finger pressure.
All FD791D's have a regulator. What spec is yours?