Export thread

Almost There - Blades Turning Off Issue

R

rkokoski

ok I have been having a problem with my JD D140. Issues starting at times and recently I was cutting and the blades just shutdown. I replaced the PTO and still no joy. Not even lights coming on. I check battery and all good. Issue was pure electrical and found the problem with the 20a fuse next to battery that broke. Replaced that (and new PTO in place) and no issues starting and blades. I started cutting grass and 10min in the blades stopped again. I worked on PTO and nothing. Restarted tractor and then PTO and nothing. If I get off seat the safety kicks in to shut down tractor. I engage brake and that appears to work as tractor will not shutdown when I get off seat. BUT I cannot get the blades to engage. I even tried the old PTO and still nothing. I inspected the connector to the PTO and all wires seem solid and resist a pull.

What am I missing?
[ATTACHREUSE]

[ATTACHREUSE]

Attachments

StarTech

StarTech

Can't clearly enough to see what I like checking. Is the terminals spring hinges in tack or are they cracked or flatten?

I light thru at least a couple of them and I am not talking about the empty slots.

R

rkokoski

ok I assume we are talking the same connector I sent a picture of (that connects to the PTO). 1) I looked at both sides and it all looks solid. No cracks anywhere. I tug wires and solid push and pull stop. Are we talking about something else?

StarTech

StarTech

Not referring to the plastic housing but the terminals themselves.

1717496997131.png
When this happens the terminal to mating terminal becomes loose and can lose contact at the root; hence, lost of electrical conductivity. Sometime the connections arc and burn the contact points.

And you must each and every terminal that is associated with the PTO wiring and also check the switch itself as they do burn the contacts internally especially when you have a partially short PTO clutch field winding. PTO clutches normally on pull 3-7 amp with 7 amp max being the max. Most PTO are only rated for 5 amps. PTO field resistance should be above 1.7 ohms.

Also PTO clutches can otherwise too.

R

rkokoski

The PTO is brand new I just put in but same thing happenned with the old PTO in that the blades just cut off in the middle of cutting (after 10min). The picture you sent I am assuming is the insides of each of the occupied 7 slots in the connector (2 empty slots + 1 non slot make up the 9). I am only visualizing the 7 wired slots. I would have to think there is say to remove each wire from the housing to inspect. What do I do to check each terminal? What is the repair/replace options? I appreciate all of your help. This is not my area of expertise so I am learning as I go along.

R

rkokoski

I pulled each of the slots of wires to inspect and they all look good so I don't think that is it. I tried playing with the RIO switch going forward/backward/pulling & pushing PTO but no combination will get blades spinning.

StarTech

StarTech

Need to know the year of your mower as there is three different wiring schematics. The schematic will help in tracing the problem as you know where things are connected.

The RIO only affects the killing of the engine when the PTO is on and the unit goes into reverse.

R

rkokoski

Need to know the year of your mower as there is three different wiring schematics. The schematic will help in tracing the problem as you know where things are connected.

The RIO only affects the killing of the engine when the PTO is on and the unit goes into reverse.
Serial: 1GXD140EVFF617017

I have also seen someone asking about the "reverse sensing switch at the transaxle" as an idea but I am not sure what to look for and am open to anything

StarTech

StarTech

1717606823617.png
1717606894520.png