Export thread

Air filters

S

slomo

Guessing most of these oil burner type engines are from poor air filters. Or not checking the oil prior to mowing. Talking about the first one.

You pull an air filter, looks pretty clean. There is always grit and lawn debris PAST the air filter. Don't care if you buy OEM Briggs filters or what. Sandy lawns and baggers are tough on mower engines.

My deal is I think I'm looking for some medium strength RTV. Something to gently glue the air filter to the housing, hoping nothing gets passed the air filter. I've done grease which is better than nothing. Feel a solid adhesive would be better. Run that filter till she has starting issues then replace as normal. Does this sound super wack or what? The more I think about it the more I wonder why we all are not doing this. Comments please........

logert gogert

logert gogert

Guessing most of these oil burner type engines are from poor air filters. Or not checking the oil prior to mowing. Talking about the first one.

You pull an air filter, looks pretty clean. There is always grit and lawn debris PAST the air filter. Don't care if you buy OEM Briggs filters or what. Sandy lawns and baggers are tough on mower engines.

My deal is I think I'm looking for some medium strength RTV. Something to gently glue the air filter to the housing, hoping nothing gets passed the air filter. I've done grease which is better than nothing. Feel a solid adhesive would be better. Run that filter till she has starting issues then replace as normal. Does this sound super wack or what? The more I think about it the more I wonder why we all are not doing this. Comments please........
Sounds like a good idea. Only flaw I see is when you go to replace the filter. Depending on what you use to make the seal will get stuck

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Dusting down an engine is what you are talking about. I don’t think it happens that much. If air filter seal were that critical, manufacturers would have been doing it for years now. A good air filter and checking/changing the oil are very important to a small engine’s longevity as well as making sure the cooling fins under shroud are free of debris.

StarTech

StarTech

Well since 2009 when I started doing repairs for others on lawn equipment I rarely seen a problem with filter; unless, the operators fail to change the filter when needed. Nearly all filters seal tightly. Now low quality filter are being sold via places like eBay, Amazon, and local flea markets. Any engine that are being dusted does have a filter side problem that needs resolving.

Now several years ago some handheld trimmer OEM tried going to just a screen on the air intake side claiming the engine could handle what ever got pass the screen. Didn't last too as the equipment didn't last too long either.

If I see dust in the air intake side I look for the filter sealing problems and usually find the filter is bad.

S

slomo

Sounds like a good idea. Only flaw I see is when you go to replace the filter. Depending on what you use to make the seal will get stuck
Clear GE 100% silicone in the caulking tube is super tough when removing. Course once the filter is causing starting/running issues, time to change it anyway. Why I was asking about a medium strength goo. Something that sticks tight but, could be, removed with effort.

Might try some GE silly-cone and see what happens. Thin bead is all it would take. Seal out all the grit and dirt possible. Start with a new filter and silly-cone it in place. Can't hurt anything once it has cured for a day.

Just thought about the filter cover closing if you use too much. Again a thin bead should be okay on most filter units. Just gluing the filter to the housing.

R

Rivets

Did it ever occur to you if you glue the filter to the housing, you will probably ruin the housing when trying to remove it? Notice how easily they warp with nothing applying added pressure to them. These housings warp easily aand it won’t take much pressure to change a flat surface into a curved one. Best and cheaper to do your due diligence and check the filter more often than recommended. Trying to build a better system could easily back fire.

StarTech

StarTech

Or you could use one side tape like they use for PU camper shells. AND apply the sticky side to the base of the filter and not the housing.

R

Rivets

I pity the poor tech that has to work on a filter where someone has tried doing this. Try explaining to the customer why they have to pay for a new filter housing.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Some chainsaws are bad for not sealing like the MS361. The "lumberjack" fix is to put some grease around the egde of the filter to help sealing.

S

slomo

Did it ever occur to you if you glue the filter to the housing, you will probably ruin the housing when trying to remove it? Notice how easily they warp with nothing applying added pressure to them. These housings warp easily aand it won’t take much pressure to change a flat surface into a curved one. Best and cheaper to do your due diligence and check the filter more often than recommended. Trying to build a better system could easily back fire.
I mentioned a medium strength goo of some variety. Flimsy housings were thought about. Something to seal and be somewhat removable. Not talking about JB Weld type goo.

See my thought on checking more often is when you are checking slash disturbing the seal or lack there of, you could allow grit into the engine. I install a new filter. Leave it alone until it takes a couple more pulls for example to start or starts running low on power. Then pull her out and install a fresh one. Just trying to stop all this dirt from getting inside these engines. Even with grease, I pull a push mower Briggs filter and see nothing but dirt all inside the housing. Like why buy a filter if these are passing all this grit.

R

Rivets

If you want to do it on your own equipment go ahead, but if you are in business NEVER on a customers unit, unless you have great liability insurance.

S

slomo

If you want to do it on your own equipment go ahead, but if you are in business NEVER on a customers unit, unless you have great liability insurance.
Just a home owner.

shurguywutt

shurguywutt

Anything more than heavy grease sounds like a waste of time. Even under heavy home use, it takes my oil so long to turn brown that I wonder if changing it every year is throwing money away. It probably is but whatever it gives me the feels, rock on bruhs.

G

GearHead36

What kind of filter are we talking about here? Paper or foam? If foam, are you oiling it. A dry foam filter will let dirt by.

S

slomo

What kind of filter are we talking about here? Paper or foam? If foam, are you oiling it. A dry foam filter will let dirt by.
Most pushers use a paper filter.

On one of my old Snapper pushers, has a round paper filter with a foam pre filter. I oiled (saturated) the pre filter and still had dirt past the filterS. Scalping is a filthy dirty job.

Only thing I can do is try gluing the filter down. Grease doesn't seem to be a 100% fix action either.

StarTech

StarTech

Just which Brigg are we discussing here so know what filter setup the OP have?

G

GearHead36

Most pushers use a paper filter.
I have two push mowers. One has a paper filter, one has foam. The new small Briggs engines without chokes... have foam filters.

S

slomo

Most