Aging Lawn Tractor

Ed Zac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman Lt 2000 18.0 HP ELECTRIC START 42" MOWER AUTOMATIC LAWN TRACTOR Model No. 944.604890

BRIGGS ENGINE - MODEL NUMBER 31H777, TYPE NUMBER 0297-E1
HYDRO GEAR TRANSAXLE - MODEL NUMBER 314-0510

Greetings,

I have joined this forum for a multitude of reasons….

1. Aging Lawn Tractor – Deciding factors - Rebuild or Replace
  2. Need to plan and budget for the next tractor which will have to be a combination Lawn Tractor and snow blower .. I am 56 and I want to eliminate the Snow blower which is getting physically harder for me to operate from my equipment lineup..
  3. Best Practices – Lawn care for ¾ acre renovation property… lawn is in bad shape and I need a long-term cost-effective green strategy to recover the lawn slowly as my wife and I are into utilizing our property to grow as much of our own chemical free non GMO produce ..
  4. Culvert Management strategies

I will put these questions to the forum gradually over time so I don’t want answers to all of them at once .. I want to explore each issue in depth …

Here is my first question..

To start my Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor is 8 to 9 years old it has been a great tractor, the Briggs engine has been flawless other than needing a carburetor rebuild for the most part it has been maintained by a variety of Small Engine Repair companies for things that I can’t fix most of the basic maintenance has been done by me…

Our property is not flat as we live on a bit of a hill there is a 12-14 foot drop in grade across the width of the property.. so it’s had a fair amount of hill climbing .. there are no issues with the transaxle…yet

At this point I need to estimate how many years I can get out of it .. and what the cut off would be for repairs,

The attached pic is not my actual tractor but it is the same exact type … I will attach an actual picture when it’s not raining …

Regards,

Ed Zac

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    13 KB · Views: 9

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our Craftsman section for your first question. :smile: