Aftermarket carbs for a vee B&S 44P777-0124G1

bartles

Threads
Anyone out there have any good luck with aftermarket carbs for a B&S 44P777-0124G1? The OEM may be worth the bucks...just curious about
everyones experience?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Aftermarket carbs can be good and they can be bad.... I might buy a aftermarket carb that works great, while my neighbor may buy the same carb and it doesn't work right. they are what i like to call, "hit and miss" on quality.
see if Stens or Rotary sells a cheaper carb for the motor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would never order an aftermarket carb for that engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I have never replaced one these carburetors in 12 yrs. Matter of fact I am cleaning one today and installing repair kit. One of the easiest carburetor to repair. Even I need install choke or throttle shaft bushings and I only done that twice in 12 yrs.

But some have a nervous breakdown as soon they see it is a Nikki carburetor.

bartles

Threads
Aftermarket carbs can be good and they can be bad.... I might buy a aftermarket carb that works great, while my neighbor may buy the same carb and it doesn't work right. they are what i like to call, "hit and miss" on quality.
see if Stens or Rotary sells a cheaper carb for the motor.
Yep, I have had the same results too. Thanks for the feedback.

bartles

Threads
Personally I have never replaced one these carburetors in 12 yrs. Matter of fact I am cleaning one today and installing repair kit. One of the easiest carburetor to repair. Even I need install choke or throttle shaft bushings and I only done that twice in 12 yrs.

But some have a nervous breakdown as soon they see it is a Nikki carburetor.
The one I am looking at now has had water in it for two years....pretty corroded.

bartles

Threads
I too am hesitating trying one again. I may have to manup and put a kit in the one I am looking at. It is very gunked up and eaten up with two years of water inside it. Thanks for your feedback.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I too am hesitating trying one again. I may have to manup and put a kit in the one I am looking at. It is very gunked up and eaten up with two years of water inside it. Thanks for your feedback.
If the fuel bowl is severely corroded then you might be better off with a new new carburetor as the fuel bowls from Briggs are ridiculous now. The 796778 bowl list for $112 with my cost @ $90 but I was lucky as I brought 5 of them back in July 2020 for $30 each before Briggs jacked the prices 3x. Now they are just a little cheaper than a complete carburetor but I see Briggs has also jacked the carburetor to $182.50 list so the two are separated somewhat price wise again. Back last year they were only separated by $10.

Now if you just wanting the remove the corrosion from the fuel bowl to see if it is still usable then a little sulfuric acid (battery strength) will do the job but bowl would need to strip down to just the aluminum bowl. No steel, rubber, or plastic allowed as the acid will destroy them. Caution toxic fumes are produced so this an outside job. Also this is for less 30 minutes or aluminum damage can occur.

bartles

Threads
If the fuel bowl is severely corroded then you might be better off with a new new carburetor as the fuel bowls from Briggs are ridiculous now. The 796778 bowl list for $112 with my cost @ $90 but I was lucky as I brought 5 of them back in July 2020 for $30 each before Briggs jacked the prices 3x. Now they are just a little cheaper than a complete carburetor but I see Briggs has also jacked the carburetor to $182.50 list so the two are separated somewhat price wise again. Back last year they were only separated by $10.

Now if you just wanting the remove the corrosion from the fuel bowl to see if it is still usable then a little sulfuric acid (battery strength) will do the job but bowl would need to strip down to just the aluminum bowl. No steel, rubber, or plastic allowed as the acid will destroy them. Caution toxic fumes are produced so this an outside job. Also this is for less 30 minutes or aluminum damage can occur.
Thanks for the advice!