Advice on installing new hour meter on turf tiger

Searles400

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Advice on installing new hour meter on turf tiger
Turf tiger sst61v-27ch with kohler command 27 ch740-0041. My hour meter stopped working so I ordered a new one. Of course there's been a change in them so the new has the same 2 prong connection like my original one but also has a male end for a wire to run to the spark plug. Do I need to run the wire to the spark plug? It's getting power when I turn the key on. Haven't had time to run it to see if it's actually counting or not.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What hourmeter did you buy?
What makes you think that another wire goes to a spark plug?

Last edited:

Searles400

Forum Newbie
Threads
The replacement from scag. I figured it out Tho. Incase anyone else has the same question you DO have to run the extra wire around theach spark plug wire to get it to start counting the time when the motor is running. Without the extra wire it powers up when you turn the key but won't count.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for letting us know.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the Scag part number of your new hourmeter?
On Turf Tigers with a basic engine with a carb, the hourmeter will start clocking time with the engine running and the PTO switch is in the on position.
Scag hourmeters although having different part numbers are the same meter but with different electrical configurations.
There are three male terminals on the bottom of the hourmeter. Depending on the part number, one of the terminals will have a plastic covering on it and on the other part number, this terminal will be exposed and another terminal will have the plastic covering on it. The 3rd terminal is the ground.
In the Turf Tiger, the hourmeter is wired to the PTO switch and will clock time only when the PTO is on.
In the Tiger Cub/Cat, the hourmeter is wired so it will clock time when the charging system voltage is above 13 VDC~.
Having had hourmeter problems with my 2007 Tiger Cub, I bought and installed an analog meter and wired it to clock time when the key switch is in the on position.
Scag hourmeters have a non replaceable internal battery that keeps the LCD display alive. When either the battery dies or the LCD display fails, then the meter is useless. Having had these problems with two Scag hourmeters, I opted to install an analog meter and wired it to clock time when the keyswitch was in the on position. The analog meter that I have fits into the rectangular hole that the Scag meter was in, just needed to drill two small holes for the screws that hold the meter in place, removed the female electrical terminals from the connector and installed them onto the analog meter with the correct polarity.
I did run the time up on the new meter to where I thought the machine time would be, this took about five weeks with the meter connected to a small 12 volt battery and a trickle charger.

88bradb

Threads
I have a 2003 tiger cub that has the old analog meter and I am glad I do because it still works well.Everyone I talk to that has a newer digital version have had problems with thiers.