Advice needed on electrical problem

n2qlt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I have a 26 year old XW2400. About a month ago, the electric suddenly cut out in the middle of a cutting. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone who wants to work on it. It just stopped running. Nothing happens when I turn the ignition key. The battery is only one year old. I checked the fuse, it is good. There is a wiring harness and there is a green wire coming out of it with nothing attached but a crimp connector. There is also a round piezo thingy on the frame, and the negative lead was disconnected. I tried to put two and two together and I stripped and connected together the two disconnected leads. No change. Any advice on this would be most appreciated!IMG_2014.jpgIMG_2015.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First off, please delete the other thread you posted with the exact same problem. It will become very confusing with two threads. Second, have you checked to see if that green wire goes to a terminal on the solenoid? I’ve attached an operator’s manual which I believe is for your unit. There is a wiring diagram which shows a green wire going from the key switch to the solenoid. https://www.dixiechopper.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/1997-X-LX-PARTS-and-OPERATIONS-MANUAL.pdf

n2qlt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much. Something went wrong when I tried to attach the pictures to the post. I tried to fix it and it wound up as two posts. Now I can't figure out how to delete the other one.

Thanks for the manual. I have the Kohler 22hp. In the diagram, it shows the green wire (oil sending unit) spliced to the black wire on the horn. So I guess I was right on that one. So it must be something other than disconnected wires. I just replaced the ignition switch two years ago, so it's probably not that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check to see if there was a small wire attached to the solenoid?

n2qlt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, bingo! I re-attached the green and black wires. Turned the key and the horn went off. Tried again and it was dead. So I wiggled the connector on the back of the ignition switch all around, and tried again. It started right up! Thanks for the help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear it, thank you for the update.