Adjusting wheel height on old Toro Commercial

Clizby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have an old Toro model 22040 commercial mower. Adjusting the height on it has becoming nearly impossible. It is so tight that I can't physically move it Unfortunately I have some shade grass and really need to raise the level regularly, but don't know if I will be able to do that. Is there something that can be taken apart and cleaned or anything to make this work? Here's a picture of what the wheels look like.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_172942383 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20200517_172942383 (Small).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the wheel and you’ll find a bolt with a nut on the inside of the deck. Loosen very slightly only until you can move the adjuster.

Clizby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remove the wheel and you’ll find a bolt with a nut on the inside of the deck. Loosen very slightly only until you can move the adjuster.

Thank you!! Rivets, you are my most favorite person in the world right now (don't tell my wife). I did the front two wheels so far and now can easily move them by hand. Will get to the back wheels later in the week. Any idea why in the world this happens? I remember awhile back when they were adjustable, but it just seems like over time its become nearly impossible!

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A little yearly TLC in the form of very lite lube will do wonders. If you don’t start now I’m telling your wife.

Clizby

Forum Newbie
Threads
A little yearly TLC in the form of very lite lube will do wonders. If you don’t start now I’m telling your wife.

:) Well, the front wheels went great, but when I went to do the back ones, tragedy befell me. It's completely different because the back is gear driven, so it doesn't have the same bolt to loosen it that the front did. It looked like the gear was held on by a pin that is kind of shaped like a washer, but I didn't want to try to take it apart yet. Any suggestions on loosening up the back adjustments?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, forgot you had a commercial model. I don’t want you to take it apart, could be a disaster if you are not mechanically inclined. Try this first. Get a can of a good spray penetrating oil. Spray down the area around the adjuster arm and let sit for 30 minutes. Come back and spray again, then start working the adjuster arm back and forth. With any luck you should be able to free it up. Once freed up spray again and let it sit for 24 hours and repeat if you have to. Let us know what happens.

Clizby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, forgot you had a commercial model. I don’t want you to take it apart, could be a disaster if you are not mechanically inclined. Try this first. Get a can of a good spray penetrating oil. Spray down the area around the adjuster arm and let sit for 30 minutes. Come back and spray again, then start working the adjuster arm back and forth. With any luck you should be able to free it up. Once freed up spray again and let it sit for 24 hours and repeat if you have to. Let us know what happens.

Thank you very much for the information. I had to use penetrating oil the other day just to get the back wheel off! Alright, if weather turns out tonight, I'll give that a go. Honestly I don't even use the propelled mode as it isn't really worth the trouble, but still have to figure out this adjustment issue. I will give it a shot. Thanks again!