Adding vacuum fuel pump to briggs engine

tkos115

Threads
I was wonder how/if there is a way to add a vacuum style fuel pump to my briggs engine. It's an old 8hp made in 1986 on my snow blower. To make a long story short, once it gets a little below half a tank it starts to cut out and wont run. I have rebuilt the carb, (its spotless), cleaned and flushed the tank, replaced all fuel lines including filter, and checked the fuel cap. I have tried different carbs with no change and made sure the fuel lines are routed how they would be orginally. So anyway, can I add a vacuum pump somehow to this engine? Could I use crankcase pulse somehow? When the fuel level is higher it runs perfect. The tank sits in its orginal position still on the side of the engine and the fuel lines sit in all the brackets and not lower than the carburetor.

The old owner said they always had the same issue too. It's on an old Simplicity snowblower and uses an updraft carburetor. I also replaced all intake seals as well. Float height is set to spec, I even set it to allow a little more fuel in the bowl but no change. It also has a factory primer that physically squirts fuel into the intake manifold. I have replaced the primer too.

Engine number: 190403-3044-01
Snowblower number: 1691023

Last edited:

Richard Milhous

Threads
A snowblower with a 4-stroke? A 1986 engine that runs?

I'd be looking for a way to put a bigger gas tank on it before anything else. Or put a shrader valve in the tank cap and give it a push with a bicycle pump.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is possible to add an impulse port to the crankcase. It will need to added high in the crankcase as to limit oil traveling up the impulse line and pump needs mounted above the port.

Just be aware once you add a fuel pump the carburetor's needle and seat will need to be change to the pump fed version. PN 394683.

This of course require several gaskets as first you don't want metal chips floating around in the crankcase plus you probably will tear a few getting things apart.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
replaced all fuel lines including filter, and checked the fuel cap.
What process was used to check the fuel cap? Don't think this is your main issue. Curious what tool or method was used.