Export thread

About to purchase used mower without deck - Question

V

vince82

I'm thinking about picking up a 6-7 year old Craftsman DYS 4500 26 HP Kohler engine w/150 hours for $500. The mower was originally fitted for a 54” deck. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find an exact replacement deck so I was wondering if I can fit it with other size decks? How different are decks from one craftsman to the next? Thanks for any input. Much appreciated!!!

tigercat

tigercat

Most current tractors have similar decks. New Ariens & Craftsman decks or other entry level machines look a lot like the same maker. I think if you buy this tractor, and purchase a deck for it, you will get it to work, with some testing of parts and a little trial and error. But, you will end spending a lot of money for the new parts. You won't save anything in the long run.

I think this machine would serve as a parts tractor to something you currently own, this would make better sense, in my humble opinion. Let's say you blew the engine on your current tractor, than this $500 machine would be a good buy....:thumbsup:

W

whitejww

The decks can be had used for a reasonable price on Craigslist, eBay and elsewhere but don't come up too often without a whole parts tractor attached. I was fortunate to find one for my YS4500 last fall for $50 on CL. I bought it and it was in great shape. If you can find a deal like that and not add a crazy amount of $$$ to the overall cost it may be worth purchasing the tractor. The resason I say may be worth it is because I had a friend who had an aging tractor that I had been doing some major repairs to keep it going. Last fall I was in HD and found a returned/refurb Ariens unit for a steal. I looked the unit over and it had never cut a blade of grass and still had the nubs on the tires. The sticker was marked down from $1200 to $450 and it came with a warranty. I called my friend from the store and told him if he didn't come and buy it I would buy it just to resell. In your case it's a tough call. The thing to consider is why the unit you are considering buying has no deck? What was it used for? Those 150 hours may have been some hard use plowing snow or maybe moving trailers with equipment on them. It's a good time of the year to find some close out deals. I hope this helps and wish you good luck whatever direction you take!

tigercat

tigercat

The sticker was marked down from $1200 to $450 and it came with a warranty.

Good point on demo or reconditioned machines.
I bought this at Home Depot last fall for $699.

It was reconditioned. It did cut grass and it was returned. It sits in my garage, I haven't used it yet. Yea I ran it and checked it out it's perfect! So I drained the gas from the carb and tank and and I changed the oil.

The machine is ready when I need it.