A heads-up for Troy-Bilt LTX-1842 owners

jmartin919

Forum Newbie
Threads
This concerns the double pulley on the mower deck. The part number is 756-1202. It has two pulleys with the same groove width - both for 1/2" belts. If you are replacing this pulley be careful buying off the internet. I ran across many listings (even Home Depot) for a pulley that the seller claimed was a 756-1202 but is actually a 756-0638. The 756-0638 IS a double pulley but it's different - the lower pulley is for a 1/2" belt but the upper pulley is made for a 5/8" belt. The sellers claim that's how the 1202 pulley is made these days - BS. MTD still has the 1202 as originally designed (minus the bearings, retaining rings and spacer). If you try to use the 0638 pulley when you should be using the 1202 your belt will slip under load - most noticeably in tall/thick grass, and the belt will brake prematurely. I had a similar problem with the upper drive belt - 754-0467. Again, be carful where you buy this belt. I bought one off eBay from a seller that claimed it was exact OEM spec. It was too short. The mower would not come to a complete stop. Even after adjusting the tension rod as loose as it would go it did not help. Fussed with it for hours, then I bought the OEM belt. I had to reset the tension rod back to where it was and it works like a charm.