A better brand than Briggs?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs 33R877 0002 G1 needs a cam. I know the briggs have a lot of problems with theirs and their design. Has anyone used an aftermarket one that has a better design for their compression release? Customer doesn't mind paying the $100 for the Briggs one. But, doesn't want it to happen again. This engine has very low hours on it.

The part number for the cam is 793880.

Tinkerer200

Threads
No, replacement engine. I would consider Kawasaki.
Walt Conner

Romore

Threads
Does the engine have the early cam? Briggs changed and supposedly improved the design in 2015.

cruzenmike

Threads
With low hours and a failure already, why is the customer "okay" with simply repairing an engine that you state "briggs have a lot of problems with theirs and their design?" You could reach out to Briggs and inquire about repowering and they will be able to offer up the most appropriate replacement engine in their lineup. With many small pieces of equipment, changing over to another manufacturer of engine is not too difficult either. You could potentially repower the machine for under 200 hours and possibly give the customer many more hours of trouble free operation? Just a thought, otherwise I cannot answer your question.

Romore

Threads
There are millions of Briggs engines out there that have given years of trouble free service. Certain series have given their fare share of grief but no reason to condemn the entire line. Other brands have their share too.

cruzenmike

Threads
There are millions of Briggs engines out there that have given years of trouble free service. Certain series have given their fare share of grief but no reason to condemn the entire line. Other brands have their share too.
Not condemning the entire line. In fact I was only quoting the OP. In fact I had an Exmark with an 18 hp Briggs that was an absolute delight. Much smoother than any small engine i've used, quieter than any Kawasaki or Kohler, and with 500 trouble free hours over 12 years, I would recommend a vanguard to anyone. In fact, when my step-dad went to purchase a new ZTR I pushed him towards the Vanguard 28 EFI and he has been very pleased with it.

a lot of people like to knock on Honda for using plastic parts inside the crankcase, yet I have over 15 years of personal experience using Honda small engines without a single failure.

no piece of equipment is made perfect and all of them will fail eventually. A lot of their failures going to poor quality control or poor maintenance. anything that was made in poor design at this point has likely been resolved with improvements and engineering so most small engines inherently are better now than they were years ago, regardless of who's manufacturing that engine.