Repairs '99 10323 SilverPro Series

GeneG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, A friend of mine gave me 2 stroke 10323 that he did not used for several years.
I filled with mix and it started, only one problem a lot of smoke. So I realized that I did not mix it right. Anyway, I brought for a repair/tuneup to a local garage type shop. Got it back with a new plug, sharpen blade and correct mix for $62 and a recommendation to mix it right.
Brought home, it started well and run for 15 min, and died. Waited for couple min, it started again worked for couple min only this time, reved up and died again. So now it hardly starts and if does works for couple min that revs up and dies. Any suggestion before I will bring back to the shop? Thanks

Fireman 123

Threads
I'd ask them if they did anything with the carb. Prob just needs a good cleaning, and new needle & seat. Put an in-line fuel shutoff on it if you haven't already done so.

GeneG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks fireman, I stooped by the repair place and the guy claimed that my engine is tired and can be only tuned. He said that compression is lost. I strongly doubt it because the first thing I did, is measured compression and it was in the range. So not i have a get a truck to get LB back to the shop and see if they will figure out the problem, I hope that it's just needle and seat. But because of their opinion on the tiredness of the motor, I do not know if there will any good result in second attempt.
Thanks

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks fireman, I stooped by the repair place and the guy claimed that my engine is tired and can be only tuned. He said that compression is lost. I strongly doubt it because the first thing I did, is measured compression and it was in the range. So not i have a get a truck to get LB back to the shop and see if they will figure out the problem, I hope that it's just needle and seat. But because of their opinion on the tiredness of the motor, I do not know if there will any good result in second attempt.
Thanks

That doesn't sound good:

engine is tired and can be only tuned
:laughing:

I would not waste time on the shop after hearing that. At least they sharpened the blade and put in a new plug.

My guess is that there's some kind of issue in the fuel system. Fuel filter? Dirt in the gas tank? Clogged carb? Float valve doesn't shut off?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Fireman 123

Threads
I agree. Stay away from those guys. Most shops don't like to fool with lawn boy mowers anyway I hear. Have fun learning how to work on your own stuff. At least I enjoy it. Good luck.

GeneG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sunday: took carburetor off with the full intention to clean it, but it was very clean even the gas filter. Needle, seat we clean and look new, all the holes in the nozzle were clean as well.
Successfully put everything together except for bottom gasket that need to be replaced (fuel is leaking), started the engine and it run for a while, than died. I noticed the there are black oily exhaust from the muffler. Any tips?
Thanks

DSC00845%20copy.jpg

jlamp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sunday: took carburetor off with the full intention to clean it, but it was very clean even the gas filter. Needle, seat we clean and look new, all the holes in the nozzle were clean as well.
Successfully put everything together except for bottom gasket that need to be replaced (fuel is leaking), started the engine and it run for a while, than died. I noticed the there are black oily exhaust from the muffler. Any tips?
Thanks

DSC00845%20copy.jpg

Have you looked a the exhaust ports? They may be blocked with carbon. Usually you have to take off the muffler to examine them. I haven't done this for this model, but I've done it with three earlier LB's/engines I've owned. Several times cleaning the exhaust ports with a plastic or wooden probe (not metal, to reduce risk of scoring anything) has made a major performance improvement.

Oily exhaust seems to indicate incomplete combustion and/or engine running below optimal temperature. In the "old days" cleaning the reed valves at the exhaust ports was an almost annual ritual, depending on how many hours had been run.

Short run time after starting could also indicate something amiss with the needle, seat, or carb float. The metal parts may look clean to naked eye, but may be gummed up, damaged or "micro-corroded" in ways that prevent proper metering of fuel. That was the story with the carbs of a chipper and a snowblower that were not used for several years. (Corrosion is a risk with fuels that contain ethanol. Risk can be reduced by using only premium gas.) A bad float (i.e., "waterlogged" with fuel) could cause bad metering too. Twice with old LB's I've owned that was the fix.

Check the exhaust ports. If they are clean, think about a new carb kit and/or float.

Good luck! I bought a Silver Pro of similar vintage last summer from Craig's List so I'm interested in your results.