Export thread

96 GT262 electrical problems

jeffthomastx

jeffthomastx

Hi guys. Newbie needs help.. I recently came across an older GT262 and decided to bring it back to life. I've replaced the starter and battery but the motor still won't turn over. I'm told it's pos a safety switch. Does anyone have a clue on how I can track this down.. thanks

U

upnorth

unless there's something electronic in the electrical wires, it should be pretty simple.
do you have a multimeter? a cheap one from radio shack will do.
Try this. Locate the large terminal on the starter. Use a heavy gauge jumper cable and go from the battery positive to the large terminal.
Does the bendix pull in and spin the engine?
If it does then you're ok to this point.
Now trace the heavy wire back to the starter solenoid. Probably mounted somewhere on the frame where you can't see it.
One terminal goes to the battery, the other goes to the large stud on the starter. The smaller terminal is the solenoid coil. go with the jumper from the battery to this smaller terminal. The coil should give a loud click and the starter should attempt to spin. Use a piece of heavy wire and find a clean place on your frame and attach one end here. The other end of the wire, connect to the ground of the solenoid. Now try from batt to small terminal. if the engine spins, your problem might be a bad ground between the solenoid bracket and machine frame.
clean off the attachment point and re-bolt up the solenoid.
Let me know what happened.

Retiredcarguy

Retiredcarguy

Corrosion of a connector or terminal may be the cause. Every one in the starter circuit should be inspected.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Also if there is some corrosion at any terminal you need to clean them thoroughly and all clean electrical connection fill them with dielectric grease.

jeffthomastx

jeffthomastx

Hahaha haha haha (crazy laugh) we got it fired!! 1st off you guys rock. Tks for all the insight.. it turned out to be the ignition switch circuit board. Close inspection showed it was broken. So 2 jumpers and some solder and she is purring just as awsome as ever. Woohooo.. my next problem is the governor on the wife's 240 with the 14 kawi. Man wtf is the deal with that? John deere wants 400.00 to fix it and I say bs.. so is it something I can bypass or do I buy 1 and replace? Can I get one anywhere else than jd? Again tks for the help. Yall get a star and a freaking smile face next to your name today. Just like me.. lol

M

mechanic mark

Hahaha haha haha (crazy laugh) we got it fired!! 1st off you guys rock. Tks for all the insight.. it turned out to be the ignition switch circuit board. Close inspection showed it was broken. So 2 jumpers and some solder and she is purring just as awsome as ever. Woohooo.. my next problem is the governor on the wife's 240 with the 14 kawi. Man wtf is the deal with that? John deere wants 400.00 to fix it and I say bs.. so is it something I can bypass or do I buy 1 and replace? Can I get one anywhere else than jd? Again tks for the help. Yall get a star and a freaking smile face next to your name today. Just like me.. lol
click on support then parts.

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

jeffthomastx

jeffthomastx

My wife said I have to many toys too. Well, I agreed with her. So I got rid of the wife. The new wife loves my toys!!! And I love her. Lol

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

My wife said I have to many toys too. Well, I agreed with her. So I got rid of the wife. The new wife loves my toys!!! And I love her. Lol

:laughing: Now that is a classic.