95 Model 10545 won't stay running?

Lary1r

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 95 model 10545 that runs after priming the carb for a while and then dies. I prime it again with the primer bulb and it runs then dies again. I am thinking that it may be a float issue. I haven't worked on any engines for a long time and wanted some feedback before I do anything. Also what is the float setting on this mower?

Fireman 123

Threads
Id say your on the right track with the diagnosis. If it has the metal walbro carb, I don't think the float is adjustable. However if it has the plastic carb, you can adjust the cork float. I forgot the exact measurement, but I've always set them eye level, and it has worked for me. It could be a clogged main jet as well. I think after you disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning/blowing out, you should be back in business. It's a good idea to replace the needle & seat, and gaskets while you have it apart. Good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have not removed the carb yet try this first. On the left side of the carb body there is a small metering jet. It will look like a screw and may be under a decal. Remove this jet. Clean throughly. There is a very small hole in the center that plugs easily that must be open. Spray carb cleaner into the opening where you took the jet out and reinsert the jet and try again. If this doesn't work you'll have to follow fireman's direction.

Lary1r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll clean the metering jet and go from there.

Fireman 123

Threads
It will have the jet if it's a walbro carb. If you have the plastic lawn boy one, there isn't an adjustment on the carbs used on the F series. The Duraforce engine carbs have one behind the decal on the LH side.

Lary1r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got It Running!

It has the plastic carb and therefore no jet on the side. I took the carb apart and there was dirt plugging the main jet and partially had the float valve blocked. I cleaned with carb cleaner, cleaned the fuel tank, re-assembled, turned onfuel and had fuel running out:frown:, took carb back off, turned float over and it worked :smile:. I also replaced the badly split primer bulb when I had it apart.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The jet which I was talking about is under the decal on the left side of the carb.