7262 starter problem

dougw

Threads
The recoil works fine problem is the gear only slides out about 1/2 way and if anything will just scrapes against the teeth on the fly wheel sometimes if you push it hard enough it will go all the way out and fully engage. If you take the recoil out it the gear pops all the way out no problem. Seems to be the only problem with the mower has new ignition module, plug, blade and air filter.
any suggestions, have tried everything I can think of.

Fireman 123

Threads
dougw said:
The recoil works fine problem is the gear only slides out about 1/2 way and if anything will just scrapes against the teeth on the fly wheel sometimes if you push it hard enough it will go all the way out and fully engage. If you take the recoil out it the gear pops all the way out no problem. Seems to be the only problem with the mower has new ignition module, plug, blade and air filter.
any suggestions, have tried everything I can think of.

I believe you are saying when you pull the rope, the starter gear isn't fully engaging into the flywheel. I would remove the assembly, clean it, and apply a light coat of lubricant to the worm gear. Also check to make sure the starter spring isn't worn, and that it's installed correctly.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The starter mechanism is about the only thing I really don't like about the old Lawn-Boys. On one of my mowers I installed an old-fashioned, wind-yourself rope starter -- works every time. :laughing:

dougw

Threads
Fireman you are correct the gear sometimes tries to engage and grinds other times does not come out that far, will r take it apart and check it over, as much use as it has had would guess the spring is probably done (used to bag the grass all the time and cut about 5 yards a week with it)
Thanks for the ideas.
Doug