722D2 bogging down in grass it once easily cut

bozoc

Threads
Good info. Squealing could be belt tension, but it should be a constant. If the belt is not OEM or is also worn....or you have a bearing fail. That would rob a lot of power. Might take of the deck belt and check each idler and spindle. Should spin smooth and freely.
I wasn't clear H.T. The squealing is coming from the rear around the clutch area. I was thinking the clutch belts might be slipping and squealing when they get a load on them. I'm not sure how tight these belts need to be and unlike the drive belts with the j-bolts I don't see a way to adjust the tension on the idler pulley. I'm sure there is a way but I can't see it. I am going to re-torque the clutch as well. I noticed the manual says to re-check torque after 15 minutes of running when you install a new clutch. I didn't do that.

The deck belt tension is set to specs (tension spring at 5.75") but I will take the belt off and check the idlers and spindles. Thank You for your replies!

qmark

Threads
I would bet on the belt tension. Perhaps the new belts are slightly longer and the spring hasn't enough tension. Or maybe the spring is loosing its springiness
Find a way to get more tension on the belts. Larger idler pulley or longer pull on the spring or a stronger spring or possibly double spring it..
I have a 725 g2 61 in. deck which I replaced the 3 cylinder gas with a turbo charged diesel. I hear that squeal in tough going because the drive was designed for less power.

bozoc

Threads
I would bet on the belt tension. Perhaps the new belts are slightly longer and the spring hasn't enough tension. Or maybe the spring is loosing its springiness
Find a way to get more tension on the belts. Larger idler pulley or longer pull on the spring or a stronger spring or possibly double spring it..
I have a 725 g2 61 in. deck which I replaced the 3 cylinder gas with a turbo charged diesel. I hear that squeal in tough going because the drive was designed for less power.
You hit the nail on the head. Right after lunch today I replaced the idler pulley spring with a new one I had and it started cutting like a champ. Just a wag on my part but it worked. Thank you so much. You were right on the money!

gsim

Threads
Check pto belt tension. Won't always squeal until heavier cutting encountered. If air filter, you'll see sooty looking exhaust when load increases.

bozoc

Threads
Check pto belt tension. Won't always squeal until heavier cutting encountered. If air filter, you'll see sooty looking exhaust when load increases.
Thank you for the reply. You are exactly right. It did turn out to be tension on the 2 pto clutch belts. A new spring fixed it. The old spring looked fine but it must have lost some of its "springiness" or tension. Again thanks for your reply. I am amazed at the knowledge I have found on this forum over the years.