721D stopped running

6gunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

My 1997 721D stopped running while mowing. It started running rough then acted like it was going to stall, so I shut it down. It's a diesel, so I thought I was running out of fuel and didn't want it to run out of fuel given the restart procedures with diesels. I added fuel even though it looked like it had a small amount of fuel, and this it where it gets weird- I turned the key to restart it and nothing, starter doesn't engage, no click, nothing. The PTO button was off, the steering sticks were out in the natural position.
The battery is over 10 years old, so I thought maybe it just died. And again, this is weird, I jump the battery with my tractor, and it cranks, just not well, and the engine on the mower doesn't sound like it's trying to start at all. I test the battery, and it's fully charged.

I'm at a loss on this one. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, John

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean both ends of the battery cables. Be sure it has a good ground connection.
Change the fuel filters
If has a diaphragm lift pump check for fuel in the oil
If has an electric lift pump maks sure it is working.

6gunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input, Hammermechanic. This turned out to be the battery. The battery tested out at 12.75, that's why I didn't think that was the problem. But it was a 11-12 year old battery (never had one last this long) so I had it tested and it was shot. With a new battery the mower started right up.
Thanks again.