Buying Advice 720K Only

PTWhopper

Threads
Bought and acreage 5-mos ago. No way am I mowing 2.5 acres that has a combination of 85 tree and bush obstacles with a garden tractor. I borrowed a couple of mid-mount ZTR's to finish out the mowing season and fell in love with the ZTR design. I have spent many hours researching the best fit for the dollar. I keep coming back to the Grasshopper front mount because it is a 4-season design with a very good customer satisfaction record. I didn't want to spend that much money for a lawn mower and then was surprised by the lady of the house (LOTH). She wanted to know if there was a machine that would mow to my satisfaction and also replace my large garden tractor. I smiled, said sure, but the price tag is $15K by the time I accessorize. That is when I decided to get serious about my Grasshopper research, matching models and implements for mowing, snow-blowing, and grading. I have settled on the 700-series. After adding up what I wanted in the "new" market I decided I better also present to the LOTH what the used market could provide.

I have come across a residential owned 2000 720K with 600-hours and 61" deck that the current owner has used for 5-years. He purchased the 720K from the original owner along with the house. The unit is in excellent condition both visually and mechanically and has been used as a lawnmower only. The owner has replaced the unit with a small tractor. Asking price is $3700.

My questions are:

Is the 20HP engine powerful enough for a 61" deck at full speed? I have a lush lawn, but will mow on a weekly basis to a 4" height. I have 14' of elevation change on the entire property.

Is the 720K powerful enough to operate a Model 512 single-stage snow blower? Iowa is very unpredictable, but I would guess I would use the blower six times a season. Drifting is a pita out in the country.

Thanks!

BWH

Threads
The 61" deck is plenty deck for a 720k I have a 52" deck on a 721 powered by Kubota that works very well. I have about an acre and a half which is quite steep in places, power has never been a problem for my 721. My uneven areas might be a problem with too much larger deck I have considered a 61" on my next mower but worry about the quality of cut as well as fitting into tight areas.

The snow blower will not be a problem in the least I ran the same blower with a 612 and it never had power problems at all.

PTWhopper

Threads
Thanks for the responses. That is what I wanted to hear.

It does bring up another question, however. Will a 2008 Model-512 Snow Blower mount on 1999 720K without having to make any modifications? Maybe a better question would be, are all model year 700-series Grass Hoppers implement compatible?

BWH

Threads
Thanks for the responses. That is what I wanted to hear.

It does bring up another question, however. Will a 2008 Model-512 Snow Blower mount on 1999 720K without having to make any modifications? Maybe a better question would be, are all model year 700-series Grass Hoppers implement compatible?

I believe the 2008 snow blower will hook right onto your 1999 720K.

The difference is back in the early 1990's all attachments hooked on directly with a pin type connection, after that they went to a saddle type of bushing that the attachment rode on. The saddle mount is a oval bushing that can be replaced as it wears to keep a snug fit where the steel on steel pin type wore the pin as well as the holes in the machine thus letting the deck get sloppy. You could really feel it as it would move when you turned from side to side, a person could drill it out larger and re-pin it but only a few times.

I think I am rambling again! Sorry

PTWhopper

Threads
That is good news. I have seen the phrase "claw type connector" used to describe the saddle mount. I like that the design that permits replacement when worn.

I found out today from GH Tech Support that the 2006 Model 412 snow blower with electric lift will work on the 1999 720K, but require a electrical harness kit. He also stated that the new models of implements will work on the 1999 720K with the caveat that an additional "kit" may be required. I really like the backward compatibility as long as it is a good design going forward.

Thanks for the feedback!

KIOTI TRACTOR

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Grasshopper 720 will be an awesome machine, hands down. I am a Sales Rep for a company that deals in Grasshopper, and it is one of our top sellers out of 8 other different brands we carry.
The only thing I would suggest that you check the service records, and get the unit checked out by a servicing dealer for noisy idler pulleys, and deck spindle bearings. Nothing like a bad deck bearing to leave you sit in the middle of the mowing season.
Good Luck.

PTWhopper

Threads
The 720K deal fell through. We have had a lot of snow this season so I couldn't test the deck. I attempted to get the seller to let me test drive the power unit with the 412 snow blower and he declined...end of negotiation.

I ended up finding a deal 280-miles from home. A middle of year 2008 723K with 255 hrs, 412 snow blower, Cab, 52" Power-Lift deck, and almost all of the options associated with each implement. All in exceptional condition.

The snow blower is amazing. I am searching for a vacuum collection system, now.

Thanks for the advice.