618 Ghopper Trouble shooting

husker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up a 618 ghopper, knowing that it had hydro problems. It would mow and move but was real slow, especially on hills. After i got it home and starting inspecting I noticed that the hydro drive belt was loose and the idlers were wore down pretty bad. I orderd parts and replace the belt and idlers. This seemed to help the hydros alot. They are still a little noisy but will do for now. The problem I have now is the motor is bogging down going up hills probly because the hydros are getting full power now. The motor hours are unknow but dosen't smoke. I was wondering if i could be loosing power through the PTO clutch or still from the hydros. My next step is to change the hydro fluid, the filter for the hydros, do a tune up on the engine and maybe a fuel pump.

Questions I have:
1. IS there a procudure to use to change the hydro filter and fluid? (Like a bleed screw)
2. Is there some adjusting on the hydros i could do to help?
3. Who makes these hydros and can they be rebuilt?

1998 Grasshopper 618 18hp kolher uunknown hours.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

txzrider

Threads
are you sure all the pullys are in good shape... a bad bearing could put extra load on the engine.

husker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I will look into that this tonight.

GHdiesel6

Threads
I would start with servicing the motor. Since you don't know the current hours on the motor I would do an oil change along with filters (oil an air) and change the spark plugs. Maybe even run some high test fuel through it and some sea foam or equivalent cleaner to help clean out and burn off old deposits in the motor. Just some other options I thought id share..

husker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have changed the oil and will do the plugs in a couple days. From what ive read on this site and others is that the 18hp triad is a pile of junk. I may be looking at a repower this winter if a good tune up dosent do it...... THANKS!!

dean demoss

Forum Newbie
Threads
how to you put a new drive belt on a 618 grasshopper mower

dean demoss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look for the bolts with the spacers that are on the shaft. You need to remove those bolts and spacers to slide the belt on. You will need either belt 382627 (that one did not fit my 618) or 382630. Don't overtighten the spring. Good luck

Tommy1

Threads
Yep, I had a 18hp triad. They are ok if you have a good one ! LOL!! I did get 500 hrs out of mine, which my dealer said was a record for their dealership. Can`t rebuild throw away motors.