60 inch deck noise

BertMc

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member. New Ferris 3300 w/ 60 in deck. Deck noise/intensity cycles about every 20 seconds from smooth to higher intensity/noise. Same while mowing or sitting still. Sometimes difficult to notice, other times more noticeable. Dealer demo had 15 or so hours on it, but I noticed first time I mowed with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I recommend you talk to your dealer and not do a work yourself. You could easily void the warranty.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take it back, agreed. For the price of these mowers these days, they should offer you a loaner just like car dealers do.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the speed that those blades turn I am wondering if it isn't a harmonic oscillation.

BertMc

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the speed that those blades turn I am wondering if it isn't a harmonic oscillation.
That's sort of what I was thinking, but I'm no engineer or mathematician. I thought maybe a weak spot in one of the belts builds up to a tightness and then relaxes, or something like that. The dealer was at my place once and listened briefly, but as usual with mechanical malfunctions, it was not very intense. I don't know if it can actually be heard standing beside the mower. Sitting on the seat, it's definitely noticeable, but maybe as much felt as heard. I'll get someone else to work with me to confirm what I hear, and then back to the dealer.

Mostly I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything like this on a 3300 deck, or any deck for that matter. I don't want the spindles to be damaged and find out after the warranty is out.