6.75 Tecumseh engine won't stay running & knocking noise

mmanter

Threads
  • / 6.75 Tecumseh engine won't stay running & knocking noise
Got a question. I have a 6.75 HP Tecumseh engine that I am having some issues with. When I got the engine it didn't run. I was told it was from a bad flywheel key, which I confirmed it had. I replaced the bad flywheel key and tried to start it but when I pulled the cord I heard an unusual knocking noise, and it wouldn't stay running. When I pull the starter cord it is harder to pull than other mowers I have and won't even try to fire unless I spray some starter fluid in the carb.

I checked the crankshaft and it is straight. Any suggestions as to what I should check?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing, I would re-check the flywheel key, if the nut was not torqued tight enough, you will immediately shear the new one...

mmanter

Threads
First thing, I would re-check the flywheel key, if the nut was not torqued tight enough, you will immediately shear the new one...

But would that cause the noise I'm hearing & stalling/hard starting?

howy61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you get an answer. I may have a similar issue.

The breather tube on my 6.5 hp Tecumseh LV195EA was bad. No big deal except I broke the flywheel removing it. Bought a breather rebuild kit and a used flywheel. Reassembled everything and did a test pull with the sparkplug wire disconnected.

Instead of a clean pull I am now getting a clicking noise as the crankshaft advances. It clicks all the way around with a louder click just as the flywheel magnets align with the ingition module. removed everything back down to the flywheel. the clicking happens if the crackshaft/blade is rotated in a clockwise direction. silent if moved in counter clockwise, but will eventually stick/freeze.

Do I have an issue like the crankshaft slipped out of alignment with the camshaft?