SimsillyBillie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I just picked up a Simplicity 5212.5, it was on letgo for free.
Tractor has been sitting in a garage for the last 10 years, the ad said it needed a battery but they did not know if it would run.
I picked it up and brought it home, first thing I did was smell the gas, it smelled fine, maybe just a little varnish smell very faint.
Next I checked the oil, just about empty but was pretty clear but looked a little funny so I drained what I could with it cold and then filled it up.
Then I cleaned the carb, all the gaskets, jet, fuel pump looked really good blew everything out with my compressor and slapped it back on, stuck a new battery in.
I put just a bit of starting fluid in and she started right up, it took a little while before I could back the chock off and it did kill a couple times.
I made sure I could see tranny fluid in the res before i took it for a ride. She run really good, motor is smooth and has a really nice sound.
So, every thing works, cut's great. Here are things I wonder about and I'm sure I can get some good advice here.

She speeds up when going down hill, is that normal?, I mean, I know it should a little but it seems like to much.
When I let the brake off it's pretty jerky, in both forward and reverse, not real bad but not good.
Also, it surges, or lunges, it's not the motor, it the trans, and when you go down a grade a bit and then up if feel like a belt slipping or something.
Well thats all I got for now, I will get some pictures up tomorrow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has been sitting for 10 years my guess is that the belt is pretty well gone. Before going after the tranny I would re the drive belt, probably worn, cracked or dry rotting. When changing check to make sure the idler tension arm and pulleys are in good shape and moving freely.

SimsillyBillie

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it has been sitting for 10 years my guess is that the belt is pretty well gone. Before going after the tranny I would re the drive belt, probably worn, cracked or dry rotting. When changing check to make sure the idler tension arm and pulleys are in good shape and moving freely.
Thanks will get on that today.