495942 Carb replacement/Alternative

Propflux01

Member
Hello, I have a yard edger with a 3.5 B&S. Engine number 91202 0131 01 931213 03. I was given the edger with a 'new' carb on it. Some of the linkage (choke) is missing, and the carb is not the right one for the engine. After looking up the number, it shows a carb number of 495942 which is obsolete, and no-one and I mean, NO-One has part. I've scoured eBay, used my Google Fu, and nothing comes up as far as a replacement. So I ask Here if anyone could point me in a direction to go with this? An Alternative carb that I an use to get this engine running again? Thanx in advance!
 
The IPLfrm Briggs is showing the 495460 carburetor which for the 2 and 3 qt tanks, the 495942 is for the 1 qt tanks. Both are the air vane governor.

You can use the 499952 carburetor to replace 495460 but you need transfer the governed idle spring and bracket to the new carb. You also need to remove the circle bracket in the following image.

Note if the tank is rusty you are better off just forgetting about repairing the engine as the tanks are not available. Also the 495460 is also NLA from Briggs but the 499952 aftermarket one will replace replace it with mods.
 

Attachments

  • 1647207179989.png
    1647207179989.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 9
The IPLfrm Briggs is showing the 495460 carburetor which for the 2 and 3 qt tanks, the 495942 is for the 1 qt tanks. Both are the air vane governor.

You can use the 499952 carburetor to replace 495460 but you need transfer the governed idle spring and bracket to the new carb. You also need to remove the circle bracket in the following image.

Note if the tank is rusty you are better off just forgetting about repairing the engine as the tanks are not available. Also the 495460 is also NLA from Briggs but the 499952 aftermarket one will replace replace it with mods.
The tank is alittle rusty, but I have saved them in the past by using BB's and shake, shake, shake !!
 
Also, if it makes any difference, the engine is throttle controlled at the handles. Not beside the carb, as some of these seem to be.
 
Yes that makes a different as to which linkages that needs to be transfer from the old carburetor to the new one.
 
Back
Top