46" cutting blades

Tony82

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am curious about how often you should sharpen blades , my cub cadet blades lose their edge after cutting 3/4 acers of grass ,is this normal or are the blades not properly heat treated .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depends on what you consider sharp. A .030 cutting edge is considered the sharp starting point according to Oregon which is probably who made the blades.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also many blades are not heat treated so they dull faster but said by IL .030 is considered sharp. Even when put on a new sharpen blades they dull somewhat the first cutting. It is the major rock (impact) damage that is more concerning. I do install heat treated blades here and they do last up the 2X as longer as OEM blades. So far I haven't quote heat treated blade for the MTD 46" decks; although, the MTD blade style I from Stens looks to be very good blades and they are .164 thick.

I would only sharpen when the quality of the cut becomes poor. Different grasses wear the blades differently so there is no fix time frame as to when to sharpen.

Charlie8d

Threads
I don't know your terrain but here in Florida, I cut about as much sand as I do grass. Blades will get dull pretty quickly, so I only buy good blades.